Cheesman-4/15

cotter

Reaction score
I was able to get out to Cheesman today. The bump in flows definitely has the fish a little more active and not as spooky. I witnessed one of the thickest midge hatches I've ever seen this morning but rarely did I see a fish actually rise.

I was fishing the usual Cheesman rig: small size 20-22 midge and baetis nymphs, 6x fluoro, and split shot. I got into a bunch sight fishing early in the morning. After that, the fishing started to slow down, which seems to always be the case at Cheesman around mid-day.

In the afternoon, a very insignificant BWO hatch occurred. I also hooked the largest fish I've ever seen in Cheesman, and lost it. A little while later, I was able to sight the fish again and land it. It was just pure luck that I had a second shot at that fish. I also lost a bunch of other nice ones. I guess this one giant makes up for all the other fish I lost. Overall, the fishing was great.

Last edited:

4peace1piece

Reaction score
Heck yeah, I bet you felt two inches taller on the walk back to the car. So many days end with the story of losing the big one, its nice to know someone out there won one day.

Lsuhunter

Reaction score
That's a nice fat fish. I have definitely learned that the further you are willing to hike in, the bigger they get. I caught a monster rainbow a few months back in cheesman but he didn't have a belly that big.

Congrats and thanks for sharing.

vbgooroo

Reaction score
This is great! I was just coming on here to see if anyone had been up in the Deckers area as I am heading there on Sunday...snow, rain or shine! Nice group of fish you caught there.

speedylights

Reaction score
Dang dude! You hooked up some hogs. I think I need some lessons on Cheesman fishing tactics. That place has skunked me a few times.

cotter

Reaction score
Dang dude! You hooked up some hogs. I think I need some lessons on Cheesman fishing tactics. That place has skunked me a few times.
Thanks.

It's definitely a place that requires some time and effort. Those fish are well educated. Sight fishing and getting a perfect drift are paramount. Fish small nymphs and a bit of weight. As long as you're doing that, you should catch fish.

It may just be a string of bad luck, you never know.:)

triggw

Reaction score
Nice. Thanks.

Was there a couple of weeks ago for the first time in a few years. Didn't do nearly as well, but got one really nice rainbow. Good to see there are still some big fish there. I also caught a sucker. And I saw some real pig suckers laying around the bottom. I used to fish Cheesman quite a bit, but now don't get there very often. I don't remember seeing a lot of suckers in the past. Is the sucker population booming?

cotter

Reaction score
Nice. Thanks.

Was there a couple of weeks ago for the first time in a few years. Didn't do nearly as well, but got one really nice rainbow. Good to see there are still some big fish there. I also caught a sucker. And I saw some real pig suckers laying around the bottom. I used to fish Cheesman quite a bit, but now don't get there very often. I don't remember seeing a lot of suckers in the past. Is the sucker population booming?
I know Eleven Mile Canyon has plenty of suckers, but I haven't seen many in Cheesman. I'm sure they're still there, but they don't seem to be a problem.

triggw

Reaction score
Sweet fish and what a gorgeous stream. You Greenies sure do have some pretty rivers!
The canyon is awesome. I love fishing there just for that reason. But we probably don't get enough wind down there to suit you:wink: