The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Rocky Mountain Range (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/)
-   -   Get geared up for preseason action on The Snake (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/3648-get-geared-up-preseason-action-snake.html)

Davo 03-23-2008 03:44 AM

Get geared up for preseason action on The Snake

Okay folks, it's time to get geared up for some preseason action on the Snake here in Jackson Hole. They will be clearing the boat launches on the first. Need to make the most of what ever time we get before the runoff begins. So it's time to shovel the boat out of the side yard and check to make sure all is in good working order. Don't want to wait till your out on the water to see if Ole Man Winter has taken a toll!!

Open up your closet and dig out you rods, vest and waders. Check your rods and line for any problems you left at the end of last years season. Go through and do an inventory of your vest. Make sure to restock your fly boxes. Check your left over leaders and tippets for old age. Finding out you should have tossed them and gone for new ones by losing fish is no fun. Blow up those waders and sink them in the tub to check for leaks. It may be spring but the water is still cold.

I'm already and planning my first trip with my boss and another of our guides. Preseason offers us some of our best fishing opportunities. Once the season gets in full swing it will be rare that we all are off on the same day. We have use this time for our guides days out.

Preseason offers some really great fishing. Not just we the fishermen are ready, so are the fish. This is the time of year when they start putting on the weight they lost over the long winter. They are still a bit lethargic but also hungry. The best action is from nymphing and slow fishing streamers.

Fly2Fish 03-23-2008 11:26 AM

Re: Get geared up for preseason action on The Snake

Weather forecast for today in Jackson: 34 degrees the high!

You guys are tough!:cool:

fyshstykr 03-23-2008 01:38 PM

Dug my boat out a few weeks ago, yea that was fun!!
Got the needed fixes on the trailer done, boat washed out, need to replace the seats this next week and restring my seat in the middle.

We were going to buy a new boat this season, holding off till next year now. This boat has so much good "Fysh Karma" and still does a great job, it will be hard to get rid of Ol'Whitey.:)

Joni 03-23-2008 01:54 PM

One of my boats is hanging in the rafters of the garage, the other is in it's back pack. Double charger, so the batteries are good. Waders, wore them all year so they are good to go. Line, scored a couple new ones to check out for the year, plus Orvis replace the bad one. Reels, scored a few more for the new lines. Rods, been using them all year also, so good to go. Celebrating the birth of a new baby girl....Winston Joan Wulff 8'6" 5 weight...WAHOO!

Davo 03-23-2008 05:20 PM

Alright Joni!!!. If you don't take a break, just fish all year you don't have to gear up. Lesson learned. Congrats on Baby