The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2015, 01:32 PM

dubbn will become famous soon enough
Default Not good For Durango Colorado

Animas River fouled by 1 million gallons in contaminated mine water - The Denver Post
mcnerney, branjg, cpiercem and 3 others like this.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:37 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not good For Durango Colorado

The Animas river is such a gorgeous piece of water, that just makes me sick to see that orange sludge flowing down stream like that. This will be very interesting to follow what the fall out is in this accident.
branjg and cpiercem like this.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:23 PM

flyfishnbum will become famous soon enough

Dang that really that really makes me sad hearing about this happening on one of my home rivers....
Old 08-06-2015, 05:40 PM

el jefe is a jewel in the roughel jefe is a jewel in the roughel jefe is a jewel in the rough

Ah, good...the EPA did it, an environmental catastrophe. Just like when the Forest Service burned down Los Alamos several years ago. Your tax dollars at work!
cpiercem, donquixote and waycool like this.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:22 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Dubbn thanks for the news flash. We’re headed that way in a few weeks………
Then again, maybe not.

Dave
Old 08-06-2015, 07:15 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by el jefe View Post
Ah, good...the EPA did it, an environmental catastrophe. Just like when the Forest Service burned down Los Alamos several years ago. Your tax dollars at work!
Other than reading I'm not framilier with the area. Is the above correct?
Old 08-06-2015, 07:29 PM

darwin is just really nicedarwin is just really nicedarwin is just really nicedarwin is just really nice

I just read over on San Juan River Forum that the dam will up the release to 1300 CFS in the morning.

Current release is 650 cfs, we are going up to 1300 cfs over the course of four hours, starting at 7am. The reason for this change is to aid in dilution of the toxic mine waste that has been released into the Animas. This release will remain high over the weekend and will be ramped back down Monday.
mcnerney, fredaevans and waycool like this.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:35 PM

trs is a glorious beacon of lighttrs is a glorious beacon of lighttrs is a glorious beacon of lighttrs is a glorious beacon of lighttrs is a glorious beacon of light

I read in the article where they were placing caged fish in the river to see how they were affected, wouldnt it be better to put EPA officials in the cage???
Old 08-07-2015, 01:17 AM

el jefe is a jewel in the roughel jefe is a jewel in the roughel jefe is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Other than reading I'm not framilier with the area. Is the above correct?
Yes, unfortunately. A "controlled burn". They figured they'd be done before the high winds forecast for that afternoon came up. They didn't make it.
mcnerney and waycool like this.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:32 AM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

"We're from the government, we're here to help."

They think that high flows will wash that nastiness away? I lived in the Colorado Rockies until the end of 2013. You can drive around and see mine tailing trash -that same orange- everywhere. 100 years of rain/hail/snow hasn't washed it away. This will cost lots of recreation dollars and do serious damage to the wildlife in and around that river.
mcnerney likes this.