The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree22Likes
  • 12 Post By countr21
  • 2 Post By comeonavs
  • 2 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By countr21
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By 4peace1piece
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 2 Post By countr21

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2016, 08:08 PM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of
Default My fly fishing hero doing his thing in the high country (golden trout video)

Just a simple video of Rich doing what he does best. He's also brought along his teenaged son and daughter with him on this trip. I think this is his daughter's first golden trout.

Last edited by countr21; 03-11-2016 at 03:38 AM.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:50 PM

comeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My fly fishing hero doing his thing in the high country (golden trout video)

My god I could sit there for weeks on end. Amazing too I had no idea those fish got that large in those mountain lakes

That was cool to see, phenomenally beautiful country and fish
mcnerney and countr21 like this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 03-10-2016, 09:46 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My fly fishing hero doing his thing in the high country (golden trout video)

Countr21: Awesome video, that was just great to see Rich with his kids fishing those high mountain lakes. It's also great to see you posting again, I hope you post up some of your high mountain summer trips!
newtofly and countr21 like this.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:54 PM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of

Warthog Driver: U know it!!!!!!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:39 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by countr21 View Post
Warthog Driver: U know it!!!!!!
Thanks! I'm looking forward to reading your trip reports loaded with those gorgeous shots of the high country and some big Goldens!
countr21 likes this.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:21 AM

4peace1piece will become famous soon enough4peace1piece will become famous soon enough

Speaking of hero's in the high country (and I'm not trying to highjack this thread), if this link works it will take you to the university of Wyoming's digital archive of the personal photos of Finis Mitchell who probably stocked many of the lakes in the OP's video link. Over 2,000 pictures of inspiration if you ever need it.

http://digitalcollections.uwyo.edu:8...chell%2C+Finis
countr21 likes this.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:07 PM
Administrator

There's some great photos in there, I need to spend more time browsing through them. I love those coveralls and the old cars!
countr21 likes this.

Old 03-12-2016, 02:30 AM

Finis Mitchell's private photo collection!!! Wow!! What a find. I just spent the last hour pouring through most of them. The mountains and lakes look exactly the same (I've been to almost every high country destination in those photos), but the clothes and gear are a little different!!!
mcnerney and 4peace1piece like this.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:01 AM

Lsuhunter is on a distinguished road

Awesome fish, thanks for sharing!
Old 03-14-2016, 10:10 AM

4peace1piece will become famous soon enough4peace1piece will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by countr21 View Post
Finis Mitchell's private photo collection!!! Wow!! What a find. I just spent the last hour pouring through most of them. The mountains and lakes look exactly the same (I've been to almost every high country destination in those photos), but the clothes and gear are a little different!!!
Glad you enjoyed it and make sure you search the other collections in there for other areas or people you might be familiar with. I think I've probably spent at least 6-8 hours in there combined.

It would be interesting if you ever found a spot where you knew you and Finis took the same picture from the same location. I think the coolest thing you can do with these old photo collections is the "then and now" pilgrimage assignment whereby one sets out with the goal of taking the exact same picture from the exact same spot but in a different time. I've seen this done a lot in Colorado but not so much in Wyoming.

There are some pictures in this same archive of the first spillover after the 1909 completion of the Pathfinder Dam (above Fremont Canyon - North Platte River in Wyoming) where I've taken photos close to the 1909 location and will try to get closer to the exact spot on my next visit.