Dubois bears?

carp and bass

Reaction score
Hey all,
I posted a while back about a trip that I am taking in the last week of July to the wind river and other spots around Dubois. I am just curious if there are any bears in that area. Thanks

Poke 'Em

Reaction score
There's a big flashing road sign up near Togwotee Pass that says "Bears on Road - No Stopping" or something to that effect.

carp and bass

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the responses. Time to go get some bear spray and some bear loads. Hopefully I don't see any bears or any bear sign because if so I am out of that area real quick.

Poke 'Em

Reaction score
I don't see why bears are so scary. Carry bear spray (which, by the way, you're more likely to be harmed by accidental spray discharge than you are to need your bear spray), don't bother with carrying a gun, and be smart as you move about the woods. If you go interesting places, you'll see bear sign. It's not necessarily a sign to book it in the other direction. I mean, yeah, if I stumbled across a steaming pile of grizzly whatsit, I'd probably reconsider my plans if I was heading into a bushy area where it would be easy to surprise a bear, but otherwise, just be cautious.

Bears are cool.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Where I grew up there were black bears and they were not something I was concerned with although I didn't want to be close to one anyway. Now for 12 years I've been living and camping where there are plenty of bears.

When it comes to bear signs like tracks or poop I have mixed thoughts. Yes, the presence of tracks or a mound of poop means there was a bear there before you. Whenever I find a spot with no bear sign I wonder if he just hasn't got there yet and when will he be showing up.

Carry spray and keep it handy,

Ard

802flyfish

Reaction score
Thousands of people hike the Wind River Range every summer. Just carry bear spray and read the rules about camping and hiking in bear terrority. Just curious, what do you plan on carrying as a weapon?

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Sigh ... Fishing down in Nor. CallieFornia my greatest danger, :eek:, was nude sun bathers. WHO KNEW????? Me and Mz/Mr Doggie-Dog in river AND WOOZER nude young Ladies wade in and 'Will you teach me how to fly fish?':surprise:

Then the second, then the third .. had to go rig up two more rods ... don't even ask about 'my rod.' One Lady looked down and said "You naughty Boy, you up for dinner and do you know were I can find a toddie?"

Bite tounge .. think ... point, "My RV's over there." Four showed up at my door; actually nothing 'happened' but we had a heck of good time. MH gennie going, ditto the AC, 100++ in the shade. Night? Place was packed with no clothing ladies ... three on MY BED cuddling Doggie-Dog. So much for that, slept on the floor.

Early .. foot shove-shove ... "What do you have for breakfast, sun up's in an hour, I'm 'starved and need to go fishing.'' Too bad she lived close to 500 miles away or this could have gotten 'complicated.'

Poke 'Em

Reaction score
I've seen three grizzly bears in my life. All three were from US 26/287 near Togwotee Pass. Two big bears about 1/2 mile off the road, and a yearling that crossed in front of us. I've never actually seen one while out hiking/fishing/camping.

markfrid

Reaction score
Speaking of spray, one memorable time we were camping at Brooks Lake and there wasn't enough bug spray in the Great State of WY to keep those mosquitoes at bay! I would have gladly substituted a bear for those blood suckers.

On the subject, bear spray is your friend. And, of course, good situational awareness. It's a beautiful area, enjoy it!

Mark

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Fred: I love those stories!

Terry: As the others have stated, yes there are bears in the area, carry bear spray and keep a very clean camp and you will likely never see a bear.
I did hear on the radio that Game and Fish was having issues with bears raiding garbage cans in town and had to relocate a couple bears.

flyminded

Reaction score
The only times I've ever seen bear, so far, have been in town(s) rummaging through trash cans or dumpsters at night.

Now I've smelt them on trails and seen fresh poop, but they seem more afraid of me than I them.

Now I did see a mountain lion, at distance, one time, that was so cool I forgot to be scared.

littledavid123

Reaction score
Read an interesting article on bear and human self-defense sprays. Said that human self defense spray is 10 or twenty times more powerful than bear spray. Reasoning was they wanted the bear to run away and not be incapacitated where it couldn't run away. I am still thinking about that one! :confused:

Dave