The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2016, 09:16 AM

mka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud of
Default Fall Fishing in New Mexico

I got away for a couple of days this week for a solitary fishing trip on one of my favorite rivers in New Mexico. The trees are just starting to turn to their golden colors. I love this place because more times than not, I'm the only one on the river...wonderful for the soul. This is where I go when I want to be alone in the beauty and my thoughts.

I caught larger bows than usual that ranged from 10 to 15 inches with a rod/reel that I always use here...a 4wt Superfine Trout Bum rod and CFO Trout Bum reel acquired back in '07. That outfit just seems perfect for this place.

Click the image to open in full size.

This guy was taking a little rest after giving me a hard fight...then he shot off at 200mph. The trout were hungry and I must of caught around 30 of these guys in two days. Fun!

Back home sitting on the deck with a "cold one" and "my mountain"...funny how good your own bed feels after a fun fishing trip. I love all the seasons in New Mexico and don't know which one I like best? But, this time of year is pretty nice!!!

Old 09-09-2016, 09:24 AM

GrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fall Fishing in New Mexico

Beautiful, thanks!

B.E.F.
mka likes this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:37 AM

jeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud of

That looks like an awesome getaway. Great pics. Click the image to open in full size.
mka likes this.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:54 AM

mka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud of

Thanks, guys! One of my favorite little corners of the state
Old 09-14-2016, 09:18 AM

patrick62 is just really nicepatrick62 is just really nicepatrick62 is just really nicepatrick62 is just really nicepatrick62 is just really nice

I lived in Albuquerque for six years in the 1990s and fished all over the northern part of the state. Backpacked in, stayed for days. Wonderful place.

And green chile, too.
kayo and mka like this.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:20 AM

plecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant futureplecain has a brilliant future

That last picture with the clouds almost looks like a volcano.

Paul
Old 09-15-2016, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
That last picture with the clouds almost looks like a volcano.
Paul, that's the Sandia Peak looking east from my house. Just west of our house is the Mesa which have volcano peaks...my wife and I hike those volcanoes each week.

Just now picked up your response...I'm at Abe's on the San Juan and the wifi hasn't been working till now. No cell either. But I did catch the largest rainbow in my life yesterday

---------- Post added at 06:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick62 View Post
I lived in Albuquerque for six years in the 1990s and fished all over the northern part of the state. Backpacked in, stayed for days. Wonderful place.

And green chile, too.
I'm afraid I'm totally addicted to this place and can't move...we're here to stay. The culture, mountain trout, and yes the green chilies are in my life to stay
jeepster II likes this.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:31 AM

jeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud of

Congrats on the san juan bow. I'm thinking of going east of there just north of the border for some fall color and browns. But may go to the juan now. lol.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster II View Post
Congrats on the san juan bow. I'm thinking of going east of there just north of the border for some fall color and browns. But may go to the juan now. lol.
Why not do both? That would make a nice fishing trip. I don't know if I'm just lucky or what, but it seems I've caught bigger and stronger trout on the Juan since the big release last June????? If you decide to go the Juan and want a photographer, let me know and I'll drive up too...
Old 09-15-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mka View Post
Why not do both? That would make a nice fishing trip. I don't know if I'm just lucky or what, but it seems I've caught bigger and stronger trout on the Juan since the big release last June????? If you decide to go the Juan and want a photographer, let me know and I'll drive up too...
That sounds great to me. I did do both in oct 2012. Drove west from so co to the juan the back way and came out and over navajo dam. Also went over the mtn that is above the lake. Many miles of dirt. Going to stay on the hyw for this one. I'm working on kitty sitter dates. Couple three weeks?