The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree18Likes
  • 10 Post By southwestangler
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 2 Post By dean_mt
  • 2 Post By southwestangler
  • 2 Post By mtboiler
  • 1 Post By dean_mt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2016, 07:17 PM

southwestangler is on a distinguished road
Default Blackfoot River

Made it to the Blackfoot river to do some wade fishing. Definitely a workout to wade fish this river, but the fishing was fantastic. I have only done 2 float trips in my life but 2017, I will be floating this river!

Click the image to open in full size.

Caught mostly Rainbow & Cutbow, did manage a few cutthroat. Mostly 15 to 18" range.

Thanks,
Old 09-12-2016, 07:30 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blackfoot River

Very nice, congrats! I can see why you would want to go back and float.
lmffisher likes this.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:56 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

When were you there and what were the fish eating? Looks like the lower section.

The Blackfoot is a gorgeous river with some of the prettiest scenery anywhere. If you come back to float, I strongly recommend you do the box canyon, River Junction to Russel Gates. No access, beautiful scenery, and great cutthroats.
mcnerney and lmffisher like this.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:02 PM

southwestangler is on a distinguished road

I fished the river near Greenough, it was cloudy & overcast for most of the day, so I stuck with a double nymph set-up. I have read about some nice fish & scenery in the canyon section.
mcnerney and lmffisher like this.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:31 PM

mtboiler is just really nicemtboiler is just really nicemtboiler is just really nicemtboiler is just really nicemtboiler is just really nice

I have to say, I have fished this river twice in the last 3 years in my raft, probably a dozen times in the last five years when I am driving 'through' that area and this is an awesome scenic river and even better to float and fish. If I got a chance to float it, I would float this river in a heart beat. Great river for fishing and better on a float. About as scenic river as you can float with big fish!!!
dean_mt and lmffisher like this.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:08 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

It truly is a gorgeous river corridor, now I feel like idiot for not going there once this entire summer. It's special because the majority of this big river is not followed by a major road. After about 12 miles along highway 200 the river turns away and is followed by 10 miles of gravel across the Ninemile Prairie. Then it only winds back to the highway occasionally for at least 20 miles. It's wild and brawling in the lower sections and meanders through wooded bottoms near Lincoln. Probably one of the last good bull trout rivers in the West.

I've still got the fall, I'll get up there and swing for a bruiser brown trout.
lmffisher likes this.