The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2017, 08:57 AM

mka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud of
Default San Juan River - New Mexico

Steve (JeepsterII) and I met up at the San Juan this week and had a great time fishing before the big release begins next week. The water was murkier than usual, but didn't keep us from each catching a couple of 18-20 inch rainbows and a bunch of little ones.

While we were taking a breather at the truck, a Game and Fish Ranger drove up and gave us an update on the planned release. He said it will be essentially the same plan as last year's long release. They will start the release on 4/26 with 1000cfs and go up to 5000cfs within about a week. He expects the release to last 40-60 days...he didn't think wading fishing will be feasible until July 4th.

We had a good time and there were many anglers doing the same thing as us...getting in that last fishing time on the Juan before the big release.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:30 AM

scoutm has much to be proud ofscoutm has much to be proud ofscoutm has much to be proud ofscoutm has much to be proud ofscoutm has much to be proud ofscoutm has much to be proud ofscoutm has much to be proud ofscoutm has much to be proud ofscoutm has much to be proud of
Default Re: San Juan River - New Mexico

Nice report. It's very rare that you can take an upstream picture like that and not have a bunch of angler in it.
mcnerney and lacanadio like this.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:19 AM

mka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutm View Post
Nice report. It's very rare that you can take an upstream picture like that and not have a bunch of angler in it.
True. That was taken around 5:00pm...we find most people leave that part of river about that time to give us pretty much solitude with the trout. During the day, it was packed and was the most people I have ever seen in that section of the river.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:48 PM

jeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud of

Another great trip to the juan. I was glad we could fish before the spring release. One young dude was saying how good the fishing is then. lol. Have at it if you can wade at 3-5k cfs.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:08 PM

lacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant future

Great report and glad to hear that fish are still willing.

Joanne and I are coming up Monday will be fishing Tues-Thurs. Don't know where yet, but probably will start up around Beaver Flats.

Susan Behery from BOR posted a detailed description of the release on the San Juan River Forum. 1k cfs the 27th, 3.2k cfs May 3rd, then +600 cfs every other day until 5k cfs, with constant hold over weekends. Coincides with what you heard, Mike.
mcnerney and mka like this.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacanadio View Post
Joanne and I are coming up Monday will be fishing Tues-Thurs.
You two have fun...forecast shows nice temps. I hope you catch the monster fish that got away from me
Old 04-21-2017, 06:08 PM

lacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant futurelacanadio has a brilliant future

We will indeed have fun. This is our first real trip in our new RV, aside from driving it home from Forest City, IA. It'll be good to be back up there.
mcnerney and mka like this.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:11 PM

Location: Farmington, ill. ( stop by for a cold beer on your way thru)
k_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant future

Wow, that is really pretty. That may be the first pictures I have seen of that river. Very nice

I would love to work that seam in the first picture. I can't stop looking at it
mcnerney, jeepster II and mka like this.

Last edited by k_e_v; 04-21-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:27 AM

smcnearn is a jewel in the roughsmcnearn is a jewel in the roughsmcnearn is a jewel in the rough

No reason to wade in high water when the fish are less than 6 inches from the banks. I prefer muck boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcnearn View Post
No reason to wade in high water when the fish are less than 6 inches from the banks. I prefer muck boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, you're right...and, the nice lady at Fishheads said their guided float business does quite well during release period. But, I prefer to go to a pretty freestone as an alternative...most of the people I fish with, including me, actually prefer high mountain small stream fishing

I asked the ranger if it was my imagination that the trout were bigger and fought harder after last year's long release...he said yes, indeed, that the 2 month break from the fishing pressure did a world of good for the trout. It will be interesting to see the effect on them after this year's long release.