The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2008, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Yellowstone pack trips?????

Has anyone here done a 'Pack trip'?

I would love to do one into the headwaters of the 'Yellowstone', I think it is one of those things that would take some time to materialize, so I'm gonna try to do one for the Summer of 09'.

I would imagine something through an outfitter would run a few thousand dollars per person for a week to 10 days, anybody know?

I bet our friend Davo would have some answers and get me pointed in the right direction.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 04-11-2008, 05:12 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Yellowstone pack trips?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Has anyone here done a 'Pack trip'?

I would love to do one into the headwaters of the 'Yellowstone', I think it is one of those things that would take some time to materialize, so I'm gonna try to do one for the Summer of 09'.

I would imagine something through an outfitter would run a few thousand dollars per person for a week to 10 days, anybody know?

I bet our friend Davo would have some answers and get me pointed in the right direction.
2 years before I moved out here I went in with my dad and a guide for a couple of days. Fun time. You have to wait till August as the area is close for Bear activity. Go in by canoe up the south east arm of Yellowstone lake. A shuttle boat in West Thumb will take you, gear and canoe to the no motor zone and then you paddle in from there. There are campsites by the mouth of the river and going up the river. It is not a hard paddle. It is quite remote.
I've been wanting to do that again ever since I moved out here.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-11-2008, 06:59 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Here is a link to purchase the USGS Topo map for this trip. Covers the Lake and Upper Yellowstone in the Park.

OFFROUTE.COM:¬*National Geographic Maps¬*-¬*Yellowstone Lake- SE Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming

If you want a trip into the head waters outside the Park you would need to find an outfitter that runs trips into the Thoroughfare.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi fyshstykr,

John, here is a link to a Yellowstone Pack outfit. They say a trip to the Thorofare is $2400 a person. They have an interesting WEB site. I think it will give you some good information.

Frank
Old 04-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Frank, that is a great link. I'm thinking a trip to the third meadow on Slough Creek may be a possibility.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 04-14-2008, 01:04 AM
Super Moderator

My Sis In-law rode into the 'Thorofare' several years ago with some friends, She told me that it is an incredible area, with amazing scenery.
Over 80 miles in and out on horseback would have to be a little hard on the backside though.

I gotta do it!!!!