The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2008, 11:26 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: San Juan 4/12

Hi Frank,

Those foam indicators that Phil showed a picture of seem to be the guide-preferred indicators on the San Juan these days. The guide I used up there last time - an excellent highly-regarded guide by the name of Jerry Saiz - used them as well.

Neil
Old 04-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Neil,

Time moves on. I learned to indicator fish on the SJ and everybody was using yarn then. This must have been around 1992 or so. When I was in Alaska (1974 to 1989) no one was using indicators that I knew about. Maybe that is not quite true. We did use a dry fly as an indicator but we never considered it indicator fishing. I seldom used a dry fly as almost all my fishing was with a integrated sink-tip line.

I can see that those foam indicators would be good for a guide where he might have to adjust the indicator for different water depths. By Mid-July the water is usually down to at least 500fps or less. That may not be true this year. I think they have a big snow pack. I don't know how that will effect the flows.

Frank
Old 04-17-2008, 01:56 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Frank, you don't know how right you are when you say "time moves on", since I'm the "Rip Van Winkle" of fly-fishing (my fly-fishing "slept" for 30 years after the mid-70s). I don't recall indicators used back then at all, or at least not by that name, although as you say the occasional (very, in my case) tandem rig would often have a highly-visible dry fly above the wet fly or nymph which did double duty as an indicator for the second fly if it wasn't taken itself. And yarn still seems to be the indicator of choice among all the experts I've read.

When last I talked with Jude Duran, he thought that 5000 cf/s flows might extend even into July on the SJ this year due to the abnormally-large snowpack. Since I'm fishing by myself, I wouldn't normally guide for more than one day due to the cost. However, I decided this time that I'd guide with Jude two days that week, since wading looked problematic and with his expertise and drift boat, at least I wouldn't get skunked the whole week.

Neil
Old 04-17-2008, 11:16 PM

philthy is on a distinguished road

Neil,

You're gonna love floating with Jude! His Freestone boat is the cat's meow. Nice. Haven't gotten an update about the bump to 5K yet, only heard it was sometime in May "for about 30 days" which seems to be the standard answer for now. Hopefully, we'll be getting another update sometime around the 1st of the month. Stay in touch with Jude - he'll definately steer you right!

I've waded once or twice in studded felts and they did OK, but that was at flows around 500-700 or so. You know those flat, moss covered rocks that are killer? Well, I actually did a dance on one just above Texas Hole on Sunday, knee deep with a 2200 flow and never slipped with the aquastealth. I've got the carbide spikes also made by Simms. Don't think I'd own anything else now.

So, when in July are you gonna be up this way? I usually have off Sun-Tue or Sun-Wed and may need a fix. We're headed down near Houston (Woodville) for the week of the 4th, but will be back on the 6th. If the flows are started down by then, you will probably be in for some good fishing!

Phil
Old 04-21-2008, 10:24 PM

Sorry, Phil, been offline for a couple of days while taking a long weekend. I'm guiding with Jude on July 15 & 17, but how much longer I'm there that week depends upon the flows, I guess. That doesn't matter much with Jude, since of course we can drift, but by myself I'm pretty much restricted to wading which might still be a problem then.

You must have relatives in the Houston area to come down here that time of the year! That's why I'm going up there then - to get away from the d*mned Houston heat/humidity.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:36 PM

philthy is on a distinguished road

Thanks for reminding me of the heat/humidity! Relatives is the main reason I'd even think of heading that way in July. The flows should be down by the time you're up here...hopefully. Got the feeling it's gonna be a pretty good summer! Keep in touch and maybe we'll see each other on the river.

Phil