The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2008, 12:05 PM

2PawsRiver will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Yellowstone or Wind River

Looks like it will be the Wind River Wilderness Area for us. Included in the half dozen books I bought I also bought "Walking the Winds" a very good book with alot of info.

It was a tough call, alot of beautiful areas out there, but I think the winds will suit us best..............this time

Thanks for all the help so far and I will apologize in advance for the many questions I will have.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:25 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

This site is all about the questions, no need for apologies. Enjoy the Winds and catch a few Goldens for us. Some photos would be great.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-03-2008, 09:10 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

fysh

That was a great idea about using Goggle Earth, never would have thought of using that. I downloaded Goggle Earth and did a view of the South Fork of the Snake from Palisades down through the canyon. Pretty cool way to look a river over from above.

Larry
Old 05-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Larry,
It is great, I've been traveling up and down several of my favorite rivers. Geez am I tired....

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 05-03-2008, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PawsRiver View Post
Looks like it will be the Wind River Wilderness Area for us. Included in the half dozen books I bought I also bought "Walking the Winds" a very good book with alot of info.

It was a tough call, alot of beautiful areas out there, but I think the winds will suit us best..............this time

Thanks for all the help so far and I will apologize in advance for the many questions I will have.

Mark,
I recently had a long conversation with a guy I know who has done a few pack trips into each.
According to him, the fishing on the Yellowstone headwaters pales in comparison to the fishing in the Wind River Range, he's a good fisherman and someone I trust.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 05-05-2008, 08:30 AM

In Michigan when one goes up North to fish there are people who will spot your truck so you can do a river trip and your truck is there when you get to your take out spot.

Am starting to look at transportation. Seems crazy to rent a car to drive it to the Wind River Wilderness area, park it for 5 or 6 days then drive it back to the airport.

Is there a similar service in your area that does something similar. Drops you off, picks you up a week later............sounds a bit crazy, but if there is not seems a guy could make a few bucks starting one.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:15 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of

2Paws

I'm PM you info on a woman who shuttles my float trips she may be able to help you out or point you in the right direction.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:56 PM

Thanks Davo, got the PM and will touch base with her tomorrow.

Well heres what we're thinking. If anybody has been there, has any information, or thinks I am completely off base feel free to say so.

Starting at the Green River Lake, hiking on the Highline Trail to the Roaring Fork Trail and following that to Crescent lake and Faler Lake. From there we're crossing to Clear Lake, down to slide lake and the Porcupine Creek Trail

All told about 20-25 miles. We'll be spending 7 nights on the trail, with 8 days to travel.

Two real concerns. While there is plenty of Lake fishing in the area, are Mill Creek, Clear Creek, Porcupine Creek fishable. I am assuming there is fishing in the Green River as well as the Roaring Fork.

While we enjoy lake fishing we really like fishing the rivers and streams.

My only real conern is that there is no trail between Faler and Clear Lakes. Looked at Map.live and from I can see we should be able to cut cross country.

Would also appreciate a good link for topo maps of that area......and of course any input on flys.........must start tying..

Any input on a cheap hotel near the airport would also be appreciated. Looks like we will come out the afternoon of the 24th, shower, sleep in a bed for an early am flight on the 25th.

Anyhow that is the plan, your thoughts.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:12 PM

Try the Flat Creek motel, closest to the airport in Jackson. Don't know prices. Do a google search for USGS topo maps find the one for that area. They are the best maps and usually have all known trails marked.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:33 PM

NickFlyer is on a distinguished road

The girlfriend and I are going up to Yellowstone in June and the crowds shouldn't be terrible yet. In all honesty it is a hiking/camping/bonding trip first but I def. will be sneaking out of the tent at 6 in the morning to do some fishing. It looks like you already made your decision but I was going to say that Yellowstone does offer quite a bit of back country camping however I don't know how close to any rivers or streams. I also heard the Tetons have just as good of fishing with out the crowds and not as strict regs.

Hope you have a nice trip up there, I KNOW I WILL.