The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2008, 11:34 PM

2PawsRiver will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Yellowstone or Wind River

We're pretty much set with Wind River, but if you want some reading on Yellowstone let me know and I will pack you off a couple for the cost of shipping.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:56 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

2Paws

Did you get hold of Shona? Interested to see if she was able to help you out or not. I offer to shuttle you put you arrival and departure dates conflict with my schedule.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-07-2008, 08:00 AM

Spoke with Shona. Seems like a really nice lady, but she says she shuttles cars not people. Shuttle vs Renting a car is not a big thing was just checking out some options. Just seemed a waste to let a rental car sit for a week, but we're on that trail for 7 days, if we were to come out early having the rental car would afford us the option of checking out some different water.

Not a big thing, just looking for ways to shave a a few dollars. We do these trips, spending as little as possible, not because we're cheap, we're just poor

Many times I hear guys saying they put off trips like this one or similar trips like to Alaska because it is so expensive. We did a 9 day trip to Alaska last year that included a Halibut Charter and a fly into the Upper Russian that cost about $1,300 each, thats everything, flights, travel, food, licenses, charters.

We're doing Alaska again next year, two weeks this time. Because rental costs are so high in Alaska there are a number of other options, just have to think outside the box.

Anyhow, on this trip I think the Rental will cost us in the Neighborhood of 500-600 dollars, split 4 ways thats not bad, just thinking, paying sombody local 200-300 for a shuttle service is cheaper, saves us money, makes somebody else a little money.

Which fly shop do you use up that way. We typically try to buy what supplies we need locally, a little money into the local enconomy.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:31 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

I use Will Dornans Snake River Angler fly shop. As you go through town it is opposite the Albertsons Grocery store right on Broadway at the southern end of town. You may want to hit the Sports Authority as you come through town as well to pick up Bear Spray. The Winds is Grizzly territory.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 06-19-2008, 11:29 PM

Well just as an update. Things are going really well. We're still looking for a fourth, but we have two guys that would fit well giving it some consideration.

I do have a stupid question thought.

Looking at the averages for Pindale.....a high of Low 70s and a low of mid 30s. How does that translate in the Mountains......we'll be hiking into Faler Lake, putting us at about 9,000 feet.....I think.

On average, Aug 17th through Aug 25th, what kind of temps are we looking at.

Will also ask in the general forum...............thanks in advance for the help.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:56 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PawsRiver View Post
. . . Anyhow, on this trip I think the Rental will cost us in the Neighborhood of 500-600 dollars, split 4 ways thats not bad . . .
Which fly shop do you use up that way. . . .
That seems like an awful lot for a 7-day car rental, even though you're going in high-season August. We're going for nine days in mid-September, and our car rental for those nine days (full-size/Avis out of Jackson Hole) is under $270 total, at $25/day + tax/fees.

I second Davo's recommendation of Will Dornan's Snake River Angler in Moose. On my one previous trip to the Jackson Hole/Grand Teton/Yellowstone area on a "family vacation" two years ago, they were very helpful and spot-on in both their fly recommendations as well as good current local fishing hot spots that weren't necessarily obvious from a map. Moose seems to be pretty much made up of several stores, restaurants, etc. owned by the Dornans and I was able to provision up pretty well there. I wasn't aware of High Country Flies at that time (although I am now through their excellent website with lots of good area fishing advice), but I did also shop Jack Dennis. However, for some reason Jack Dennis' fly and local fishing hot spot recommendations didn't seem quite as spot-on as Will Dornan's.

You all will have a wonderful time. I know I'm really looking forward to our return this September. Our other trip up there was also for nine days in late May-early June 2006, and it was one of the best vacations I ever had. I've traveled extensively world-wide over many years, and the only place I've seen whose natural beauty rivals it is South Island, New Zealand.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:50 PM

Actually the car wound up costing us $307 for 9 days, which I thought was pretty good.

We're really looking forward to the trip. Found out today that we picked up our 4th guy, so we're all set.

I initially tried worked with Will Dornan's. The guy I talked to said Will was my best bet on talking to somebody that had fished the area we were looking at.

After about two weeks of not being able to catch up with him they referred me to Two Rivers Fly Shop in Pindale and they have been great.

Ordered 6 each of their top 4 drys, top 3 streamers and 2 best nymphs. Soon as they get here I'll tie a couple hundred to match

We're really looking forward to the trip.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:55 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

2PawsRiver

Davo, Fysh and I fished the Green River just outside Pinedale, WY a couple weeks ago. The temp at night was very cold, I got out of the tent and jumped in the truck to warm up, but then it warmed up to the low 70's the next day. Pinedale is at almost 7,400 ft so I would expect the temps in the mountains to be pretty close to the predicted averages for Pinedale. Like any mountain adventure come prepared for cold wx using layers, you can always shed a layer or two if it gets too warm.

Larry
Old 06-23-2008, 09:34 PM

Thanks Larry. I wsa looking at lightweight everything, but have since coverted over to a little heavier clothing. Just trying to take what I will need only. Right now I think I can keep my pack to about 40 pounds, which is plenty
Old 06-27-2008, 10:25 AM

clwpaddler is on a distinguished road

I am leaving on 7/12 for two weeks in the Wind River Range and the Tetons. Want to hike in and fish for a day and then hike out for the evening. With the warm weather beginning, I would think that the streams would be up, but the lakes I would hope would be fishable. Does anyone have any suggestions or info on this area.

Woody