The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2008, 09:02 PM

plland is on a distinguished road
Default Question about fly fishing in Colorado

I'm not sure how to word this post... I've fallen in love with small stream fishing in Arizona. The way I often organize my flyfishing trips is: drive into a National Forest area, along forest roads, reach the stream, fish all day, then drive back out onto the forest road and find a place to pitch my tent and stay the night in the "Forest Camping Limit: 14 Days" zone, or otherwise a non fee-based campsite. My question is, are these sorts of logistics possible in Colorado?

My experience fishing in Colorado is basically nil, and I don't really have a guide book to inform me on this yet. I do have "Fly Fishing the Rocky Mountain Backcountry", which I'd like to do sometime, but that sort of trip would probably involve backpacking all my gear to a remote campsite. I'm more interested in car camping, but I abhor fee-based campgrounds. So any help or info would be appreciated. Are there "Forest Camping Limit: 14 Days" zones along forest roads in Colorado like there are in Arizona?
2. What I use when a black #10 woolly bugger isn't catching.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:21 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Question about fly fishing in Colorado

you might try telephoning a fly shop in the area you'd like to visit.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:53 PM

Wyatt is on a distinguished road

We do the camping fishing with tent all the time, usually it is off a 4 wheel drive trail, I'm not sure of time limits due to our outtings usually are only 1-3 nights and each dy we pack up and are at a different spot each consecutive night, most of the camp grounds have fees but the 4wd trails are find a flat spot and get comfy, we do have to pay attention to fire restrictions during the dry part of summer and that varyies from area to area, Coleman propane stove takes care of that for us.
Wyatt
Old 05-01-2008, 08:38 PM

plland is on a distinguished road

OK, I've got another question for ya'll. when does the runoff end in Colorado? When could I expect the streams to be down to normal levels and clear?
2. What I use when a black #10 woolly bugger isn't catching.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:33 PM

Wyatt is on a distinguished road

The Poudre and Big Thompson are clear now as the real run off ain't started yet, as snow pack is above normal I'm not sure how this year is going to be, there is still ice on the high lakes. Last year we went to the upper streams/lakes and rivers in July snow was still melting but the water was clear and fair fishing. We have lot of lakes and smaller streams that the run off has less effect on so we change destinations as the summer progresses.
Wyatt
Old 05-06-2008, 09:49 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

The 14 day limit applies in Colorado also. I would suggest you decide what part of the state you want to fish. Then start researching the rivers and streams. Buy some maps that show N.F. I find the National Geographic maps the best.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 05-06-2008, 11:46 PM

liv2fish is on a distinguished road

I agree with CO cajun, it will depend greatly on where in the state you plan to fish and what type of water you are looking to fish. It is going to be tough to know for sure because of the record snowpack this year. If you're looking for some small streams and high alpine lakes I would recommend Rocky Mountain National Park. You can catch CO's native greenback cutthroats (state fish) on small ant and hopper patterns all summer long. They are a beautiful fish. The only porblem is that it costs $ to enter. Some of the tailwaters with controlled flows might be your best bet if you think you'll be fishing during the runoff.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:15 PM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of

The answer is most certainly YES!! I've never been to AZ to camp/fish, but I'm sure Colorado has 10x more areas that will let you do just what you want to do. Just off hand, I can think of many areas. The Pingree Park road above the Poudre, the road along the Bear River close to the Flat Tops, all of the NF around the Red Feathers, South Park, North Park, etc

Just choose area in the mountains that has water and you're probably good to go.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:37 AM

kingbiscuit is on a distinguished road

I don't know about CO, but in CA if you want relaxed backcountry experience you stick with the national forests and stay away from the national parks. I do both, but if I just don't want to deal with lots of regulations I stick with the forests. NFs allow dogs and roadside camping almost everywhere it seems. NPs are just not that laid back.