The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2008, 10:44 PM

liv2fish is on a distinguished road
Default CO around June 10th

Hello, I am trying to plan a group fishing trip for some friends of mine (bachelor party). I was wondering if any of you had some advice on places to fish in CO that we would be able to wade that time of year. I am aware of the popular tail waters and was wondering if you would recommend one over the other. I am not sure what to expect with the flows that time of year. Will tailwaters stay clear with controlled flows or are they likely to mud-up as well. I've thought about the Taylor and the Dream Stream as options to chase some big fish but wasn't sure what their flows would be like. Willing to consider anywhere within about 3 hrs of Denver. I am going to ask around at some fly shops this weekend but thought I might as well try on the forum as well. Thanks for any advice.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:23 AM

Trucha is on a distinguished road
Default Re: CO around June 10th

From where you live in CO. I would vote for the S. Platte; followed by the Arkansas. Tailwaters for the most part, flow rather clear - check local shops for exact information. There are plenty of services nearby in the little towns and such.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucha View Post
From where you live in CO. I would vote for the S. Platte; followed by the Arkansas. Tailwaters for the most part, flow rather clear - check local shops for exact information. There are plenty of services nearby in the little towns and such.
I'd agree on the S Platte, but I'm unaware of the section of the Arkansas that's a tailwater. In fact, I'd figure it for a perfect example of a river that will be blown out during the time frame you ask about.

As a second tailwater and one that's a bit closer to y'all, I'd consider the Blue around Silverthorne. Contact these guys and they can give you more details about the Blue- Fly Fishing Colorado - Cutthroat Anglers / Silverthorne, Colorado USA - Fly Fishing in Colorado

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:20 AM

Trucha is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I'd agree on the S Platte, but I'm unaware of the section of the Arkansas that's a tailwater
You're right about the Arkansas. It isn't a tailwater. Sometimes I should have another cup of coffee before hitting the keyboard.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:26 PM

overefined is on a distinguished road

I live near the taylor and It is running close to clear, but it is super high cfs
and difficult to cross and wade effectively. It is still fun, but you will probably have to camp with a group and it is snowing today, so who knows.
I would recomend the blue in silverthorn, hey atleast it is close to the bars for the bachelor festivities
Old 05-12-2008, 11:13 PM

liv2fish is on a distinguished road

thanks for the responses. You are right about the Ark. I expect it to be completely blown out and I may even go rafting there the week before the bachelor party. I will def. consider the Blue and a few sections of the S. Platte.