The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2008, 04:07 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough
Question Denver and 200 mile radius in May

I'll be in Denver on the 21st of this month for my nephews college and HS graduations. Does anyone have any recent reports or experiences from any of the local rivers? Looks like it may still be winter in the mountains so wading may be limited. I'm originally from the area but move away in the mid90s so I kinda know the area but recent intel would be helpful and much appreciated. Thanks in Advance...
Racine
Old 05-12-2008, 11:28 PM

liv2fish is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Denver and 200 mile radius in May

I live about 20 minutes north of Denver, the fishing has been fantastic in the local area. I fish Boulder Creek about 2 times a week and have fished the Big Thompson 3 times since the middle of April and had great trips every time. The one issue is that you will be getting close to prime snowmelt/runoff water. With the record snowfalls this year I imagine everywhere is going to be running high. As far as the snow, its not a problem to wade, I've fished throughout the winter before.
Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions but it will really depend on how far you want to travel from Denver.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:31 AM

scruffy fly is on a distinguished road

contact one of the local shops near where you will be. Get the misc stuff you will need.

Lakes and tail waters would be the best bet.

this page has links to many of the local fly shops. Look at their websites and fishing reports.

West Denver Trout Unlimited (WDTU) Colorado Fly Fishing News

Don't forget to clean your equipment that contacts the water before moving to another body of water.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:46 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough
Default Estes Anglers Guides, Estes Park

Thanks for the tips. I'm actually considering a 4 or 6 hr guided trip with these guys. Anyone have any direct experience with them??? Again thanks in advance. I'll be back in the rockies this week. I may even interview for a local job...
Racine
Old 05-19-2008, 05:42 PM

devon flyfisher will become famous soon enoughdevon flyfisher will become famous soon enough

Check this one out Fly Fishing Guides :: Mountain Anglers
and i recommend Matt Krane
Cheers
Richard
Old 05-19-2008, 07:30 PM

adrian is on a distinguished road

Some of my favorite rivers:

The classics, if you don't mind a bit of a drive, are the Frying Pan and the Roaring Fork outside of Aspen. Check with Taylor Creek Fly Shop, I've found them to be very helpful and they do not try to push guides or equipment on you. Weekends can be busy, particularly near the dam.

Closer in is the Gore through Vail(stay away), Minturn, Avon and Edwards. Generally easy water to wade and usually w/out anglers. Sorry, but I've never found a shop there worth recommending. (Cutthroat Anglers website will have Gore river reports)

Closer still is the Blue, which fishes wonderfully below the dam and through the town of Silverthorne, try Cutthroat Anglers and their website for river reports. It too can be busy on the weekends.

Good luck and let me know how you do.
Adrian
Old 05-22-2008, 03:26 AM

liv2fish is on a distinguished road

You should call ahead and see whats available as far as rivers they would take you on. Just say to them that you know its a bad time of year but its your only chance and you don't want to pay for a guide to fish a blown out river and not catch anything. They may have somewhere up their sleeve that flows are still good on but I don't expect much to be fishable in the next coming weeks (and neither do the fly shops in Boulder). The Frying Pan may still have pretty good flows but thats a heck of a drive for a day trip.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:25 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. I fished for 3 full days and despite high and fast water, it was productive enough to have loads of fun. I stayed on the Eagle mostly due to proximity and simplicity( Gas was over $4/gallon) and was surprised by the predominance of browns more so than any other time on the same stretches. I almost went to RMNP/ Estes Park but my resident fellow angler had had to go to work.