The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 07:31 PM

nvangler is on a distinguished road
Default 2 weeks-Tetons, Yellowstone, and Glacier- HELP

In 3 weeks I will officially be out of the Marine Corps heading west bound. I decided to make a sight seeing/fishing trip starting in NC and ending in NV. The three biggest places I'm hitting are the Tetons, Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks. Im trying not to go into this 2 week trip blind and looking for any suggstions (not honey holes) on places to start fly fishing. I have a pontoon boat and would like to float some of the rivers but with only one truck I would need some way to get back up stream such as a shuttle. Also willing to hike and wade fish if neccessary. Debating on doing a guided trip but this is going to be an expensive cross country journey as it is. Recomendations in guides would be appreciated though. Thank you for any and all help.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:57 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 weeks-Tetons, Yellowstone, and Glacier- HELP

nvangler: Welcome to the forum and thanks for your military service!
On the way out you might also want to consider the Bighorn River in Ft Smith, MT, you won't regret fishing there. The local fly shops will do shuttles and there are a couple of camp grounds in the area and that river is perfect for a pontoon boat, no rapids to worry about. Do a google search of the Bighorn and read the river reports that will give you an idea of the fishing conditions, it is hopper season up there so come prepared. You also might want to PM Bighorn Flies, he fishes there alot and will give you a very good idea on what to use.
Davo is a guide out of Jackson Hole so you might PM him and ask what the conditions are on the Snake River. Otherwise google the local fly shops and read the river reports and you might call them about sections that are suitable for a pontoon boat and shuttle services.

Larry
Old 08-27-2010, 07:26 AM

fishtacos will become famous soon enoughfishtacos will become famous soon enough

Thank you for your service!

If you decide to do some fishing on your way out there in NC I'd be happy to give some suggestions for western north carolina. Just send me a pm if so.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:10 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

nvangler

3 weeks will be a good time on the rivers in the area. Water is down to winter levels. Fish start to stack up in the riffles. It will mostly be tiny fly action or streamers. While your in the Tetons I can direct you to a shuttle service on the Snake.

For floating the Snake you may want to check out an article I wrote about the various stretches. Here is the link Snake River Fly Fishing Floats In Jackson Hole

Enjoy your trip!!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 08-30-2010, 05:51 PM

nvangler is on a distinguished road

Bighorn river is on the list sounds like a river I can handle with no rapids still getting the hang of the pontoon boat. Im also interested in any lakes and/or rivers I can camp at any recomendations? Most of the trip will be camping and from what I understand it may actually be better to stay out outside the parks to get away from the crowds is it usually packed early october? Thanks for the info mcnerney and Davo. Wish I had the time to hit western NC fishtacos but had to cut my trip down a bit to make it back home for the deer opener.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:42 PM

merkin_muffley is on a distinguished road

PM sent, have a great trip!
Old 09-12-2010, 02:02 PM

semperfish is on a distinguished road

nvangler,
contact me off line and I can give you some recommendations for south-central MT.
chris@semperfishandguide.com
Old 09-12-2010, 03:18 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: 2 weeks-Tetons, Yellowstone, and Glacier- HELP

Many good suggestions, but just to make a point.

One of the major strengths of this Fora is 'we take care of our own.' The above is a 'good example of a good example.'

fae
Old 09-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi nvangler,

My thanks to you for your service to our Country. My favorite Uncle was in the Marines for 28 years. He served at Guadalcanal in WWII and Korea. He taught me how to shoot and was a special person. He also taught me about the good people serving in the Marines.

I see Glacier National Park in your list. If fishing is your prime concern I might pass on Glacier unless you want to fish some lakes. I have never fished the Park but have fish rivers South of there. Glacier has a no lead rule in effect and there are complete closures on some streams. If you want to fish there you don't need a license but I think you have to check in with the Rangers. They will have all the information you need on fishing in the Park.

Some of the other recommendations would be my first choice.

Frank
Old 09-12-2010, 10:30 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

nvangler, thank you for your service.

I echo the previous comment re: fishing Glacier Park - it just isn't as good as other options in western Montana for trout fishing. For taking some of the most beautiful country you'll see anywhere - well then, spend a couple days hiking around and you will not be disappointed. It is a truly spectacular place. If you are going to do it I would suggest hitting the North Fork of the Flathead. It is a good sized river, amazingly beautiful and surrounded by wilds. You'll feel truly small there. And the colors that time of the year - in the hills and the water and the sky are worth it. There are cutthroats and bulls in there too, and some rainbows I believe.

I'm not trying to dissuade you, but if your final destination is the southwest Glacier will take you quite aways out of your way from Yellowstone. The Missoula are has a lot good options and from there you could head South down the Bitterroot and into the Big Hole - which is personally one of my favorite places on the planet. O, and the fishing is pretty good too, that's not a secret.

You are sure to see beautiful country no matter which route you take. Good Luck! and enjoy.