The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2010, 11:39 PM

rippinlip is on a distinguished road
Default Bozeman Mt. Trip report

Just back in Colorado from a great fishing trip to the Bozeman area.. We arrived on Tuesday the 24th and fished each day though today (Sunday).

Wednesday we drift fished the lower Gallatin. The day was very hot and not a cloud in the sky. We fished various hopper patters and had pretty good day. I would not say a great day. Because it was so sunny it seemed that no one else was catching much either.

Thursday we drifted the Yellowstone below Livingston. Boy did the wind blow. Fishing was pretty good though. I caught the biggest fish of the trip (18” or so).

Friday we talked to the guys at fins and feathers fly shop in Bozeman. We were looking for wading opportunities and they sent us up into the Gallatin, canyon section. We ended up around swain creek section. Fishing was great, lots of smaller fish around the 10” range. We were matching the current spruce moth hatch. We had best success with a #16 royal wolf pattern and smaller elk hair caddis. Royal wolf pattern really worked best.

Saturday we stopped in at the famous Dan Bailey’s fly shop in Livingston. They directed us to the Boulder River by Big Timber. We fished around Big Rock and Boulder forks access areas. Lots and lots of 8-10” rainbows and a few browns.. The hot fly was a parachute purple haze. What a blast.

Sunday back up the Gallatin, canyon. We fished until 12:30 or so then had to head the airport. Well that’s our vacation. Montana we will see you next year!

Thanks to Fins and Feathers (Bozeman) fly shop and Dan Bailey’s (Livingston) for all the great information on where to go and what fly’s to use. Both provided excellent information on where the great fishing was.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:50 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Bozeman Mt. Trip report

Glad you had a good time.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:54 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you had a great vacation and got some fishing in on some great water. Congrats!

Larry
Old 09-02-2010, 10:10 AM

sevenmxf is on a distinguished road

Hey Rippin,

Sounds like you had a good time. Congrats. We're in the East and my son is obsessed with taking a trip to Bozeman (he's 10 years old but knows that Simms is there so the fishing must be good). I told him we had to start catching trout here first, and to save his pennies so that we might get out there some day. I have a feeling that we'll be there at some point.

Hope our trip is as fruitful as yours.

Cheers!
Michael
Old 09-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi rippinlip,

Thanks for sharing your trip. I hope that all fly fishers would be able to fish the West at least once in their fishing lives. Those fly fishers coming from the South and East of the US don't realize how great the experience can be. The fishing can be special but the mountains, rivers and scenery can be spectacular. Nature did some of its best work out West.

Frank
Old 09-04-2010, 02:50 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Bozeman Mt. Trip report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi rippinlip,

Thanks for sharing your trip. I hope that all fly fishers would be able to fish the West at least once in their fishing lives. Those fly fishers coming from the South and East of the US don't realize how great the experience can be. The fishing can be special but the mountains, rivers and scenery can be spectacular. Nature did some of its best work out West.

Frank
Frank, I could not agree more. My wife & I are headed up to Jackson Hole the end of the month, and frankly (no pun intended), the scenery is just as important as the fishing.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Always glad to hear one of us having a good trip. I used to snoop around those places and the thing I'll always remember about Montana is the wind. You better know how to cast in the wind.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-04-2010, 09:57 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Ard,

Speaking of Montana and wind, I'm getting ready for a late September trip to Jackson Hole, and I'm wondering whether it's a good idea to take along one of my 7-weights (XP & Z-Axis) as insurance against wind (I don't have a 6-weight, & my other rods are 5 & 4 weights).
Old 09-05-2010, 11:20 PM

rippinlip is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the comments. As for a 7 weight, the two rods I used was a 5 weight on days with no wind and a 7 weight on the windy day on the Yellowstone below Livingston. A 7 weight was perfect for the wind. As for the scenery it was great. We saw several eagles on the float trip and were within 10’ (no kidding 10’) from a bear cub crossing the road on the way to the boulder river.

That was the closest I have ever been to a bear. What scared the you know what out of us was knowing that mom was around and we didn’t know where.

Last edited by rippinlip; 09-05-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:39 PM

Thumbs up Re: Bozeman Mt. Trip report

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippinlip View Post
Thanks for all the comments. As for a 7 weight, the two rods I used was a 5 weight on days with no wind and a 7 weight on the windy day on the Yellowstone below Livingston. A 7 weight was perfect for the wind. As for the scenery it was great. We saw several eagles on the float trip and were within 10’ (no kidding 10’) from a bear cub crossing the road on the way to the boulder river.

That was the closest I have ever been to a bear. What scared the you know what out of us was knowing that mom was around and we didn’t know where.
Rippin, thanks for the info. I was planning on going with only two rods - the 5-weight and the 4-weight - but now I think I'll leave the 4-weight behind and instead take the 7-weight along with the 5-weight.

Seems like bears are a problem up there this year. I understand that a food source they like (some kind of tree nut) are in short supply, so the bears are coming down from their normal higher altitude habitat in search of food before hibernation. I'm somewhat concerned about them myself; haven't decided on just carrying bear spray with me or also my .44 Mag (not that I don't have enough to carry while on the water )