The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 10:48 AM

bmik is on a distinguished road
Question Rock Creek in late Sept

I'll be fishing Rock Creek during the last week of September. Have a cabin rented right on the creek. Plan to hit a few flyshops locally but would appreciate any hints, tips or info from anyone who has fished it during this time.
Thanks
Old 09-04-2010, 05:22 PM

Default Re: Rock Creek in late Sept

So far on my list of flies are Crazy Charlies in pink and tan; wiggle minnows, rattlin' poppers; deceivers, flesh fly and egg patterns and a few spankers.
2X leaders should do the trick with a 9Wt and full sinking line.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

Where is Rock Creek? That will help people to respond.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-04-2010, 08:23 PM

You're right...I'm a knucklehead.
Let me try this again:
I'll be fishing Rock Creek outside of Missoula, MT during the last week of September. Have a cabin rented right on the creek. Plan to hit a few flyshops locally but would appreciate any hints, tips or info from anyone who has fished it during this time.
Thanks...
Old 09-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Never fished that creek but late September in Montana.......... I would have a good selection of my feather wing streamers. Winter starts early up there and the browns will be very protective of their turf at this time of year too. Do you know the predominate specie of trout that is in the creek? This helps for your planning. Browns + streamers in fall, rainbow = ?? Brookies + streamers if fall too.

By now you've figured out I fish wet flies. You may find caddis that late but fall will be underway and I'd fish streamers. Also its been a while since I've fished that far south. Someone who knows the area will post I hope. If not I told ya what I'd do

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-05-2010, 08:50 AM

I've been following all the reports from the area flyshops (and there are a lot of them around Missoula). Browns should be starting to move up to spawn, rainbows & cutthroats and I guess some brookies are in the watershed as well.
I was hoping for a little local insight regarding Rock Creek. It's 50+ miles long and I hear there are fish all through it...but as I know from my local waters some areas are better than others. As we only have 5 days to fish it I was hoping for a little local insight as to which areas might be better than others for that time of year. I'm not looking for "where to stand and fish" type tips but more general info like which access points or areas to start from, mile marker references, etc. We can read the water pretty well once we're in a location.
Thanks in advance....
Old 09-05-2010, 09:08 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

On Facebook there's a club: Fly Fishing Missoula.
Randy
Old 09-05-2010, 12:10 PM

rlmuel is on a distinguished road

check with Rock Creek Mercantile 1 mile up Rock creek from I 90. Very helpful there and a great fly shop. Big browns will be coming up creek that time of year. I like fishing upstream past 20 mile marker. road can be very rough. Lots of browns and bows.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:22 AM

nvangler is on a distinguished road

There is a good 5 page article on Rock Creek in the Sept 2008 edition of Fly Fisherman Magazine if you happen to have that laying around lol. I plan on swinging by there about the same time as well.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:03 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

bmik, you will surely be enchanted with Rock Creek. It is a wonderful place, and in September you should get a little space. I have fished it for years, and this is the only time to do it, if you like a little solitude.

The entire river fishes. It is a wade fisherman's paradise right now, top to bottom. Access points are many and easy the entire length. The upper middle stretch has some ranches and less access, but still points to get in. Montana has an access law that says the rivers belong to the people, so even through private property - if you get in the water at a public access - you can go anywhere "within the high water mark". Just be sure to respect the locals and private property.

Five days is plenty of time to explore the entire river. A few options: up high, from Gilles bridge (mile 40 or so) down to 20 mile is smaller, more Cutties - and Moose - and lots of great water and access. Right in the middle at mile 15 is a nice campground - the Dalles - with lots of pocket water, tighter canyon, DEEP holes and stunning scenery. And Bull Trout - which are illegal to target, but not catch. Release them immediately, if you can land it. From there all the way down to the Merc are some channel braids, Browns and Rainbows, campgrounds and lots of access.

It's a no brainer this time of year. The flows are perfect. There isn't a lot of sun in there and it gets cold.

Streamers, Stimulators and Baetis. O and maybe some bears.

Read the regs, respect the land and Enjoy!