The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Green River Float Trip

To celebrate my 65th birthday I decided to fish the Green River with my son. We hired a guide from Trout Creek Flies to float the B section on Saturday so I could see first hand what Red Creek Rapids really looks like, then float the same stretch on Sunday on our own. The B section doesn't have a lot of rapids but the biggest rapid on the river is on this stretch, it is a boat eater if your not careful. The B section doesn't have the numbers of fish like the A section but they tend to be a bit larger and have more brown trout. I think we only landed one rainbow the entire trip. If you have never fished the Green River, you should make a point to put it on your to-do list, if nothing else the scenary is fantastic. The wx forecast was for sunny skies both days and for once the forecast was mostly correct. We have floated the Green in the past and always seem to attract the snow regardless of what the forecast says so this trip was especially nice to have warm wx both days. We lost count of the fish we landed maybe 40-50, but lost at least that number. These fish are very healthy and extremely good fighting fish.
Here is a look at Red Creek Rapids, there are only two paths down due to all the rocks in the center, the path we took was the left side where all the white water is just to the right of the rock outcropping:
Click the image to open in full size.

The far right showing the far right side can be floated if you have the kahonas to try it, the path is where the big waves are along the rock wall:

My son fighting a nice Green River trout:

And here is the reward of a well fought fight:

Good view of the Green River:

Green River Brown Trout:

Another nice trout:

On Sunday, my son decided he wanted to learn to row the boat so he stayed on the oars the entire day except for the upper section of Red Creek Rapids. He wanted to give it a try but I just wasn't ready for that much excitement:

The only rainbow landed the entire trip:

Another nice brown:

Larry
Old 09-06-2010, 08:26 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Green River Float Trip

Well, first, from a fellow old-timer, Happy Birthday!
However, since it was your birthday trip, how come I didn't see any pictures of you catching fish? That's your son's duty; not doing all the catching on your birthday.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That's great Larry, so glad you didn't sit around wondering what to do. Looks like a bunch of nice fish too when we move down to CO. I'll float that river when you want. I figure I'll bring my pontoons with us. I have never fished that river but it is on the bucket list among many others.

Good for you,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-06-2010, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

That's a great weekend Larry.
Any more pics of the rapids?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 09-07-2010, 01:28 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

That's a great b day present you got Larry!Ard you should book long in advance....I've been told Larry's now an expert at rowing...Fly2 ,Larry is so shy we only see his mitts when he lands a fish
Old 09-07-2010, 08:14 AM

RayMO is on a distinguished road

Happy B-day!

No better way to spend the time and thanks for sharing the great pics. What a blessing to share some time like that with your son.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:34 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Larry, well played sir! I love the Green, and just wish it was closer.

Kelly.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:14 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Fly2Fish asked for some photos of me fishing, so I included a few below:

Kelly: Thanks, I feel the same way, the Green is a great place to fish, but it is a long drive for me also.

RayMO: Thanks, I totally agree! I had a great time on my birthday fishing with my son and getting to teach him a little about rowing a drift boat.

JP: I'm no expert rower that is for sure, but I know the basics and made it down Red Creek Rapids!

Fysh: I sent you an email!

Ard: Sounds cool! While we were fishing I spotted a gal in a pontoon followed by a guy in a pontoon tied to a third one holding their camping gear. I asked them if they planned on running the rapids or portaging around. She said that they would run the rapids, it was the best part of the trip. At the takeout they were there loading up and she asked me how I did and I told her I bumped into a couple rocks and spun off another but made it down fine. I didn't follow the guides advice on the setup at the top, lesson learned! She had a good laugh!

I'm itching to do that trip again but this time camping along the river, the camp sites they have constructed are really nice sites with fire pits, a grate, a picnic table and all but one has shade, but they require you to bring along a sealable porta-potty.

Larry
Old 09-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Larry,

Where do you launch to cover this section?

Frank
Old 09-07-2010, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I knew you got some but thanks for the pictures.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;