The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2010, 06:08 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Kokanee Salmon on the Gunnison/East river

I would have a hard time releasing them after having partaken of their pink protein before. Very delicious and a handful. I tasted large Browns for the first time last summer on the Gunnison and have to say they were quite tasty as well. I'm normally a C & R person but I do indulge when the offering is delectable. Best of luck and have fun.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick View Post
With the money I've already spent preparing for the trip and the money about to be spent on the trip itself, I dont see a 7wt in my future anytime real soon. Who knows, may find an end of seaon sale in one of the fly shops while there. I believe these Kokanee Salmon are catch and release only. Hopefully I'll catch one a little more ripened.

Matt
You want to catch 'Bright Fish' like those in the pictures. Red fish are about to spawn or if they already have, die. The bright ones will be better sport and the ripe ones best left to lay their eggs. Once they are red they will be on or near the spawning beds and should be avoided.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-15-2010, 12:25 PM

arkharv is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
The fish are landlocked sockeye and will get red as they ripen. For landlocked those are nice fish!

As for the use of a five weight, it can be done and you can kill deer with a .22 rifle but I would recommend a #7 for fish like that. If they are stacked in the river why not get them in quick and catch a bunch? Light lines and light rods are hard on the fish and take up way too much time. If you are harvesting the fish how do they taste?

Ard
I agree. I was under-gunned that day. I will take a bigger rod if I go back this fall. You can't keep them in the Gunnison drainage until later in the fall, November I think. It was quite hard letting some of those fish go...they looked tasty.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'll bet they are, I used to keep a few Great Lakes steelhead each season and they were very good at dinner. When I looked at those Sockeye I thought about eating them.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-23-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick View Post
Anyone here had any luck catching Kokanee Salmon on the Gunnison/East river in Colorado on there way up the Roaring Judy Hatchery? I'll be fishing in the area week after next and would like to hook into a few while there, if possible. Any tips tricks...?

Thanks,
Matt
How did it go over there? I am headed back over this weekend...
Old 09-25-2010, 04:16 PM

cdcengineer is on a distinguished road

That looks like great fun. Better than wrestling for a fishing spot at the dam below Taylor.

Is it still fishing good?
Old 09-27-2010, 12:05 PM

trick has a spectacular aura abouttrick has a spectacular aura about

Fishing was slow. I thought it was just me, but talking with others they were having a tough time too. I never fished the East because it was packed with people. I pretty much stayed on the Taylor and Gunnison. Granted, there were quite a few people on them too, but not too bad. Locals were pretty surprised at the number of people in general. Each day with the exception of Wednesday when it rained all day there was a nice BWO hatch that started around 1:30 to 2:00. Thats when I caught most of my fish. The rest of the time was spent nymphing with a little luck. Never caught a Salmon but did come across a deep hole on the Gunnison that was packed with them. I hit them on the nose with SJ worms and Egg sucking leech's but they wouldn't take it. Enjoyed watching them though. We stayed at Harmells and I fished that quite a bit. Talk about frustrating when you can see 20"+ trout but can't get them to touch a thing. Presentation is everything and alot of those holes are such that it's not easy to work well. All in all we had a great time. The worst part is that the camera I bought to carry while fishing doesn't work! Bought one of those Fuji WP cameras. I would catch a fish and take a photo with fish in net. Looked liked it took the photo just fine, but when we got home and I start checking photo's, nothing. Good thing I didn't catch a fish of a life time.

Matt
Old 09-28-2010, 08:45 PM

bummer. sorry to hear that. for what it is worth I have had a hard time on the Taylor the times I have fished there.

we went back and fished the East last Saturday...along with every other fly fisherman in Gunnison County. It was crowded. Luckily I have my secret weapon, an 8 year old boy who loves to fish, everybody was making room for him and he killed it.

Click the image to open in full size.

I caught a bunch of browns working on some salmon that were being neglected by the crowds but I mostly stood around and watched my son fight salmon.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:22 PM

trick has a spectacular aura abouttrick has a spectacular aura about

Thats a great photo! Thanks for sharing.

Matt
Old 09-30-2010, 11:36 AM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

Are they still running? Any use in going in October?