The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2008, 11:52 AM

ckalanik is on a distinguished road
Default Wyoming Fishing in high flows

Got into Jackson Hole a couple days ago. We were planning on doing a lot of fishing but all the water levels are way to high for fishing. Anyone know of any good places in the area to try?
Old 06-20-2008, 12:16 PM

2PawsRiver will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Wyoming Fishing in high flows

Disclaimer...........have not been there yet, just research for our trip in August.

From what I have read, look at different river systems......if Jackson is to high, look towards Bridger, maybe Wind River or a different system in Yellowstone.

While one system may be running to high because of high temps, heavy melting or rain, other systems may well be fishable.

Save time and money and research by phone.......call Two Rivers Fly Shop in Pinedale and see how the water is out there way.........check with other shops in different areas.

Even if the Rivers are too high, you should be able to get into some of the smaller streams and Mountain Lakes.

Hope it works out.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:24 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckalanik View Post
Got into Jackson Hole a couple days ago. We were planning on doing a lot of fishing but all the water levels are way to high for fishing. Anyone know of any good places in the area to try?
Right now the only water that is really fishable is the Green River. I've been down there the last 2 weeks. Water has cleared up the fish are on the fly. The South Fork is also fishing well but the water level is very high so in order to fish it you'll need to use a boat.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 06-20-2008, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi ckalanik,

If you want to go further South, the Green River Below Fontenelle Lake should be fishable. It is a tail water and the flow is controlled by the dam. This is quality fishing but not with high numbers. I have caught two 5lb rainbows in this section. There use to be a bunch of entry but there are some oil wells now and I don't know how this effected getting to the river. This is one river where you can wade fish quite well. You can expect Cutt's, Rainbows, and Browns.

There are also some streams that enter the lake on the West side that has smaller fish but they are more numerous.

This area has a lot of historical significants. The Mormons crossed the river in this stretch. In one spot aways from the river you can still see the wagon wheel ruts. I love Wyoming. If it wasn't for the Winters I would live there.

Frank
Old 06-20-2008, 07:53 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

At one time I was part of a USFS trail crew in the Fremont Lake area of the
Wind Rivers. It was quite awhile ago but you might contact the Ranger in Pinedale about Willow Creek above Willow Lake. The fishing was good then & there were some very nice fish that came up from the lake
into the creek. Mosquito dope a must.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:58 PM

ckalanik is on a distinguished road

thanks a lot everyone! also, is there anywhere one can aqcuire a fishing liscense inside yellowstone park?
Old 06-20-2008, 11:57 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckalanik View Post
thanks a lot everyone! also, is there anywhere one can aqcuire a fishing liscense inside yellowstone park?
Not sure if you mean a Yellowstone or Wyoming State license. You have to get the Park license in Yellowstone. For the Wyoming license you should be able to get one at West Thumb or the shop at the Lake or the Canyon. I'm sure the rangers can direct you when you stop at a visitor station to get the Park license. By the way you do need both.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 06-25-2008, 08:57 PM

cromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nice

At South entrance of the park there is a little ranger station/parking area off to the right, you can get a park license there. I believe it opens at 8 am and closes at 4 pm. I get one there when I go.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:08 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Wyoming Fishing in high flows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
. . . I love Wyoming. If it wasn't for the Winters I would live there. Frank
Frank, you got that right!

Neil