The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Rocky Mountain Range (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/)
-   -   Wyoming trip in two weeks! (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/5099-wyoming-trip-two-weeks.html)

clwpaddler 06-29-2008 02:33 PM

Wyoming trip in two weeks!

Hi everyone, new to this site but so glad I found it. Coming to the Wind River Range/Jackson Hole area from the 12 of July to the 25th. This is our first trip out west and an looking forward to hiking and fishing the area. I need some info if you can help. Because be will be camping, and doing day hikes into the back country we won't be able to carry waders so I believe that we will only be able to fish lakes or bare leg wade the rivers. Will this be possible and give us a good shot at getting on some fish. Also other than what we find out from Two Rivers Fly Shop in Pinedale, can you offer any suggestions as to flies that will work the best and any other tips that will make this trip a sucess. I from the west central area of Florida where Bass and Bluegills in freshwater or the saltwater species like Snook, Redfish or Tarpon are the normal fare.

Thank you

Woody::shades:

Davo 06-29-2008 03:31 PM

Re: Wyoming trip in two weeks!

Well we are still in runoff right now here in WY. Hopefully that will be done by the time you get here. Wet wading will be up to your tolerance. The waters will be cold in the mornings for sure, but temps should warm enough in the daytime.

As for flies.... the fly shop in pinedale will know what is hot. Staples you should have on hand are variety of Mayflies, Hoppers, Stimulators, Caddis as well as the nymphs and streamers. Mayfly dries and nymphs, PMD, BWO, Adams, Hares ears, Prince, Pheasant tails, Zug Bugs.

Frank Whiton 06-30-2008 10:41 AM

Hi Woody,

The fly shop in Pinedale is a great shop for information about the area. They have maps and guide you to some fishing. We bought some things from the shop and they gave us a bunch of information. If you go South of Pinedale there is a road off to the left that you can take back into several lakes and trails into the mountains. One of the lakes had Grayling in it. It is a gravel road but passable with 2 wheel vehicles. If you are strong hikers some of the mountain lakes have Golden trout that are much bigger than they are in California. You should already have topo maps of the area and have your trip planned out.

One day we were driving in to the Grayling lake and 5 women along the road waved us down. They had spent two weeks in the back country and they were just coming out. When they hit the gravel road they didn't know if their car was up the road or down the road. They told me where they parked and I showed them on the map where they were. They had done a pretty good job and only missed their car by about a mile.

Frank

clwpaddler 06-30-2008 12:36 PM

Thanks Frank, will be visiting the shop Pinedale. I believe I spoke with them earlier in the summer and they seemed to be very helpful. I will get what fllies I might need there also.

plland 07-03-2008 04:48 PM

Davo said what I would say. The local shop should be able to guide you with the specifics. I always bring a decent selection (couple sizes, couple color combinations) of the basic wets and dries and it tends to work pretty consistently on western freestone streams. Coldwater streams generally have at least a couple species of either mayflies, caddis flies, stone flies, and things like scuds, leeches, sculpins, grasshoppers, etc. So if you cycle through the basics, you can usually get lucky and find a pattern they're willing to hit on. In general, I've found the pheasant tail nymph, elk hair caddis, and woolly bugger patterns to be enormously successful on western freestone streams. If the stream you're on has relatively little fishing pressure, fly selection probably won't be as much of a problem as you might think out there. High altitude trout tend to hit on pretty much anything remotely resembling a protein source if it's presented naturally enough.

Trout Lady 07-16-2008 05:23 PM

Woody,

Ditto on what the others have said about the Two Rivers Emporium Fly Shop. It is run by Mike Kaul who is an unbelivable guide and has access to some great private water. If Mike Davis is around he has fished the lakes in the Winds.

We hiked up to Victor Lake last year and the cutthroat fishing was great. This year we hike into the Cook Lake, Wall Lake area on the 3rd of August. I am hoping the fishing will be good.

I don't know if anyone has suggestions regarding going deep with a sinking tip.

racine 07-25-2008 01:30 AM

I'm reading this with great interest as I did a last minute conference schedule in Jackson Hole from the 9th to the 17th. I'll be fishing the first 4 days and the rest will be in lectures( but hope to break out after lunch or midafternoon. I'd like to do a whole day guide trip but I'm open to suggestions as to where besides the Snake. I'm also spending 4 days at the Old Faithful Inn which I reserved a year ago in case I made this trip. Thanks for sharing.
Racine

Davo 08-04-2008 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racine (Post 33357)
I'm reading this with great interest as I did a last minute conference schedule in Jackson Hole from the 9th to the 17th. I'll be fishing the first 4 days and the rest will be in lectures( but hope to break out after lunch or midafternoon. I'd like to do a whole day guide trip but I'm open to suggestions as to where besides the Snake. I'm also spending 4 days at the Old Faithful Inn which I reserved a year ago in case I made this trip. Thanks for sharing.
Racine

Besides the Snake in Jackson you can also hit the South Fork, and Teton rivers just over the hill in Idaho depending who you book with. The fishing on the Snake is just heating up. Our water has been high and cloudy for the last three weeks but fishing okay. Now the level is almost down to normal for this time of year and has finally cleared. The hoppers are just getting started which is always a great time to fish the Snake.

You can also fish the Green south of Jackson. This time of year it will fish well in the morning but slow down later in the day as the fish seek deep holes to escape the afternoon heat.

Good luck and enjoy your time here in Jackson!! :wink:

2PawsRiver 08-04-2008 07:01 PM

CLWPaddler........how did the trip go. We leave in a couple weeks, same area. any advice.:icon_cool

clwpaddler 08-05-2008 08:42 PM

Well, back from Wyoming and it was a blast. Arrived in Salt Lake City on Saturday afternoon, picked up the Ford E-150 shell van from Enterprise Rent-a-car and headed for the hotel. If you want a cheap way to travel and your not opposed to camping, using the shell van is the way to go. $500.00 for two weeks and it got 23 miles to the gallon.

Sunday morning early were off to Super Walmart for supplies and food including a a Coleman Queen size air mattress for the back of the van, very comfortable. A 3 hour drive brought us to Pinedale in the Wind River Range. Hit the Two Rivers Emporium for some flies and licenses. $110 per license X 2 for my wife and I and another $50.00 for flies and were off to Fremont Lake National Forest Campground. Beautiful lake!!!, great campground, hungry trout right at the boat launch.

Our plans to hike back to some of the remote lakes and fish were put on hold for when we arrived at the Green River Lakes campground the the mosquito's almost levitated me. These things were as big as the 737 that we flew out there on!

Change of plans and instead fished some of the other lakes that did not require back country hiking and always found willing fishy's to tug on our lines.

Around the end of the first week we packed up and headed to the Tetons where we stayed at Coulter Bay on Lake Jackson the head water of the Snake River. Beautiful lake surrounded by beautiful peaks complete with snow on the upper passes.

Not much luck on the rivers in the Tetons but some of the most beautiful scenery you could ever imagine as a back drop to fishing.

The final 3 days were spent in Yellowstone where we had some luck on the Gibbon and the Yellowstone.

All of the rivers and lakes were waded bare legged. Small 14 and 16 dry flies as well as elk hair caddis were very productive. By now the terrestrial patterns should be good, it's only been 5 weeks since some areas quit shoveling snow. Lake Solitude in the Tetons is still frozen solid and covered in snow.

We left to head back to Salt Lake City by way of the town of West Yellowstone. Absolutely beautiful and will be the area we base out of next trip in two years. The Madison, the Gibbon, the Yellowstone and numerous other rivers are within an hour drive.

For the first trip out west it was a blast but Florida boys seem to require more oxygen than folks from Wyoming. I think that it was at least the 4th day before I began to acclimate to the altitude.

If anyone is heading that way and have any questions feel free to pm me and I will try to share any knowledge that I gained. Tight lines