The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2008, 12:54 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough
Question Float trip on the Madison or Green??

Given the choice of floating and fishing one of these rivers, which would be more scenic and productive for a rookie fisherman???
Old 07-30-2008, 03:54 PM

Peter Wuijster is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Float trip on the Madison or Green??

I've fished on both rivers, and i would reccomand the Madison.
There are huge numbers off fishermann on the Green, and the fish there is extremly spooky. It's a big and very nice river, butt very difficult. On the Madison you can and will catch more and mutch bigger fish. You should go in september. The big browns and rainbows will com on to the river for spawning from the Hebgen Lake near West-Yellowstone. I would fish above the lake from the banks and not from a boat. I caught fish up to over 70 cm. Its also possible to fish on Hebgen Lake. There is a campground where you can hire boats. My friend and i caught large numbers of rainbows in sizes from 40 to 60 cm. And we''ve seen bigger fish. You can get all information in West-Yellostone in Jackline's fishingstore. Reccomanded flies: Black wooly buggers sizes 2-4-6 and muddlers in same sizes. A rod #6 will do the job, butt be sure you have enough backing. You will need it. The Madison i will visit again. The Green River never again( oh yes, i caught a number off nice cutthroats there). Good luck. Peter.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:46 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Float trip on the Madison or Green??

I appreciate your help and you sharing your experience. I have a buddy who I'm trying to get into flyfishing and he has agreed to a float trip and I want him to get into some fish. I wouldn't mind latching on to a few torpedos as well. I think it would be the icing on the cake for me as just being in the rockies is intoxication enough.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Peter,

Are you talking about the Green River in Wyoming or the Green River in Utah? Your description sounds like you were in Utah. The Utah Green can be a zoo during the summer.

Frank
Old 08-01-2008, 04:18 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

The Green below FG can be a zoo, but the fishing is fantastic. The fish are not hard to catch nor are they spooky. The right fly and presentation will get you a lot of nice fish. Go for both of them. Can't go wrong then.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:02 PM

Peter Wuijster is on a distinguished road

I'm talking about the green in utah. I've never seen so many fisherman on the banks like there. On every square inch was a fly, unbeliveble. When you want a good float trip with your buddy, i want to reccomand something totaly different. Go to the Big Horn River. There is float fishing realy float fishing. No brownies or cutthroats, but lots of nice rainbows, if you know hou to fish there. It's long ago i was there (1994,-95,-96,-97) , and i forgot the name of the little village, butt its is just below the dam. You should go to the campground, and ask Gregg, the owner, to help you out. He has boats and guides, and there is really a huge number of fish. Take a guide for one day, then you'll know where to fish. There are lodges, butt i would camp. It'll give you something extra adventure. Iff you dicide to go there, i'm willing to try to tell you how you should fish there. Let me know. ( please forgive me my bad writing. Remember i'm not an american)
Old 08-02-2008, 04:32 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I myself would probably pick the Madison.
The green is beautiful and the fishing is great, but I have caught the biggest BROWN of my life (28") on the Madison. Plus I love the Montana area.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

I am not sure which Green River that Racine was inquiring about. Since he was asking about the Madison I assumed he was thinking about the upper Green in Wyoming. There are three distinct Green Rivers. The upper Green and the lower Green in Wyoming and the Utah Green. They are all part of the same river but with different fishing opportunities. I have fished all three and my favorite is the lower Green in Wyoming. It doesn't have the numbers of fish that the Utah Green has but it holds some very big Rainbows and some huge Brown Trout. To keep it interesting it has a fair population of Cutts in certain areas.

Frank
Old 08-03-2008, 11:59 PM

Thank You! I was talking about the Green in Wyo. that is east of the town of Jackon in Pinedale. Nice info you've all shared I'll reply again when I'm back-BTW I've decided to float the Madison. I hope it's cooler than last year was...
Old 08-04-2008, 12:56 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

What dates are you planning your float? Right now the Green in the Pinedale area will fish good in the mornings but slow down in the afternoon heat. The fishing always slows on the Green in August.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures