The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2008, 03:04 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of
Default Petition for Colorado fly fishermen

Would you support a petition to make the section of the South Platte in the Deckers area, from Twin Bridges to the Tipi Club catch and release only waters.
Due to the excessive and blatant poaching in this section I believe making it C&R would make enforcement easier for the DOW and also provide a tool that will help revitalize the river as it is still trying to recover from the effects of the Hayman Fire.
If you would support this effort, I will need some help in drafting the petition from other concerned fisherman and fly shop owners. Also need help in contacting other retailers, fly fishing clubs and organizations about this effort. Let me know if you can help.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:34 AM

CoMtFishing will become famous soon enoughCoMtFishing will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Petition for Colorado fly fishermen

You might want to contact the local TU (trout unlimited) they have had lots of success petitioning the wildlife commission and getting regulations voted on. However, if you believe there is alot of poaching going on in the area making it catch and release will not stop law breakers... I still see and confront people on the Dream Stream for keeping fish and always find worm and salmon egg containers there. You might want to add Operation Game Theft to your cell phone 1-877-COLO-OGT (1-877-265-6648), Verizon cell phone users can dial #OGT.

My Homepage
My Fishing T-shirt site How I pay for my fishing addiction.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:54 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Just an update on this issue. I've spent a lot of time and energy resourcing this and talking with lots of experts, TU, shop owners etc.
After a long 45 minute talk with Jeff Spohn (CDOW biologist), I've decided not to persue the issue.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:17 AM

the_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatahey View Post
Just an update on this issue. I've spent a lot of time and energy resourcing this and talking with lots of experts, TU, shop owners etc.
After a long 45 minute talk with Jeff Spohn (CDOW biologist), I've decided not to persue the issue.

i know this is old but.... may i ask why you decided not to pursue this?
Old 01-15-2011, 02:42 AM

trout333 is on a distinguished road

I'm in. I've been to Deckers once. I remember it clearly. I drove the dirt road up to the trout club and back to preview the section my first visit there. Barely got a trout to try and bite me, but before I got in the water during my preview drive I saw a guy catch a 20" plus brown. I'm in.

Sincerely, just a local fly fisherman: Alex
Old 01-15-2011, 09:35 AM

When I was researching opinions of guides, fly shops and biologists, I found good support from most shops, mixed (sometimes hostile) feed back from guides and when I spoke to the biologist I got a lesson on how and why they recommend rule changes.
The reason I decided to drop the petition is that there are too many variables when it comes to designating "Cacth & Release" water than just trying to protect a good fishery.
Since the Hayman Fire of 2002 the Deckers area has been slowly recovering from devastating ash and sedimentation events that continue to a lesser degree to today. There has even been a shift in bug life as a result of sediment deposit. What was once a prolific BWO and Trico hatch habit now there are abundant stoneflys and caddis hatches and a smaller BWO and almost non existentTrico hatch.
A rule change could place the already stressed Deckers area into an even greater sought after destination for fly fishers further disturbing the stream bed and the recovery of bug habitat. The present 2 trout over 16" regulation is IMO a reasonable and fair situation for now.

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/
Old 01-17-2011, 03:11 AM

trout333 is on a distinguished road

Well as a fellow fly fisherman, I very much appreciate other anglers who have an interest in protecting our interests.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:27 PM

dang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nice

doood what are you calling a "twin bridge"?
The culvert of Horse creek and the south platte propper?..or does this even matter