The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2008, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Colorado fishing

Hi Yat,

Thanks for the good information in your post. It sounds like a place I should visit.

Frank
Old 09-19-2008, 11:28 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Absolutely my pleasure Frank. Kudos to everyone here who share their wealth of knowledge with those who aspire to enjoy the world of fly fishing.
This is still the best, most civil fly fishing forum on the net.
Yat
Old 09-19-2008, 03:47 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Epi

I have fished North Delaney Lake, I haven't fished the other two lakes. Based on past recommendations from the local fly shop North Park Anglers, I primarily use a double Callibaetis nymph setup, with a 12 ft leader under a dropper. The Callibaetis seem to be most active from around 10 am to 2 pm.
You need to get your rig near the bottom and then use a very slow retrieve. Most of the lake bottom has a good weed bed for the nymphs to survive in. Technique wise what I do is anchor the boat and then measure the depth of water and then adjust the bobber to stay just above the weed bed. The guys in belly boats seem to like to do a slow troll following the lake edge, say 50 ft off the bank. Streamers are also effective now that its getting into fall. North Park Anglers recommended trying black patterns. Most of the fish are fat and 18-20" is probably average.

Larry
Old 09-20-2008, 09:23 PM

Colin Malthouse is on a distinguished road

Larry and Yat,

Thanks for the good information. I am looking forward to making this fishing trip and will post some pics of some nice Browns or Bows. Either way, I am sure that anytime on the water will be a good.

Later,

Epi
Old 09-23-2008, 01:52 AM

liv2fish is on a distinguished road

I actually fished the lakes for the first time this past Spring. Just a day trip but it was pretty enjoyable. I think it would've been great if we had gone at dusk/night. My friend did land a huge rainbow (for our standards/pretty average for the lakes). We were just throwing big black streamers. I'd ask the shop in Walden for what they recommend for this time of year.
Just got back from my trip to Almont, CO. Fished the East and Taylor Rivers. Headed back again in two weeks. The trip was great, took a few beginner friends down and got them into some salmon and trout. Also landed my first fish over 20". It was a monster 23" brown, also caught another brown around 19" and a super fat rainbow close to that size. I'll try and post some picks by the end of the week.