The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2008, 11:00 PM

liv2fish is on a distinguished road
Default Colorado fishing

Just wanted to see if we could get a little bit of discussion going on fishing around CO. Until last weekend it had been about 3 weeks since I'd been out and was LONG overdue.
I fished the Roaring Fork, (first float trip I've taken) it was AWESOME, caught a few fish both days and really enjoyed the drift boat experience. The one nice thing about normally fishing small creeks is when you get onto a nice river the fish all seem HUGE. The fish I landed were between 12-16" and all real healthy fatties. Each day I had some reallllyyy big trout strike my fly, one immediately went after it a second time after missing on the first strike. Its funny how just the strike alone without a hookup of a big fish can make your day. Next time I plan to land those hogs though.
Throwing big stimulators was fun too. Even saw a stonefly nymph trying to turn into an adult, it looked like somthing had not gone right because its wings were not fully developed but maybe they just needed some time.

Casting to fish holding close to the bank and seeing their shadow under the fly then trying to delay a second or two as the fish slams the surface so that you don't pull the fly from the fishes mouth is truely a joy.
So if you are in the CO area or have been/will be I'd love to hear some stories and discuss areas that are fishing well. Plan to take another trip this weekend, just not sure where yet.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:18 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of
Default Re: Colorado fishing

Live2,
There's nothing like watching a trout take a dry fly, is there?
Sounds like you had a great experience, and by that I mean the whole experience, not just the act of catching fish. Colorado summers are beautiful, albeit short.
Here are a couple books on where to fish in Colorado if you're interested.
"Fishing Colorado" by Ron Baird and "Colorado Fishing Guide and Atlas" by Outdoor books and maps. Both provide simple maps and directions to targets. Good reference material.
Another idea is to join your local Trout Unlimited to find out about what's going on, particularly in your area. Also seek out local flyfishing clubs.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:16 AM

yatahey, thanks for the response and the recommendation on the books. I have actually lived in CO for a few years now and have fished most of the state and am involved in the CU fly fishing club, helping out when I can. I was writing more to see if I could get responses from others in and around the area just to see how they were doing and here some stories. A lot of the discusion on the site involves warm water fishing all over the country (which I enjoy) and I was hoping to strike up some conversations regarding trout fishing in the beautiful rocky mountains. Had a huge snowpack and it should be great fishing now deep into the fall.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:25 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Good morning Liv2,
Sorry for the misunderstanding of your post.
OK, well, it's 5 o'clock in the morning and I'm having my first cup of coffee (just set the cup on my mouse cord and almost spilled it when I tried to move the mouse). Fixin to go up to the Dream Stream today to try for some of those hog browns. Been having some mixed results up there, still paying my dues to the fish, it seems. Had lots of hookups but only landed a coupe fish so far, those fish really know how to throw a hook. The fish there don't have a lot of structure to hide in so when they take a fly they instantly make a fast run up or down stream. If you're a little flat footed like I am, they can strip out a lot of line in a heartbeat. They got my attention now so I'm gonna see if I can't hone my technique a little to deal with the challange.
I've mostly been fishing Deckers and those fish aren't as difficult to keep on the line.
I found some vids by Gary Borger on Hook TV. His series on nymph fishing is very helpful. He describes a hook set called "slip strike" I'm anxious to try. Also a method of fishing riffles called the "shotgun approach".
Alright then, I've finished my coffee and corn flakes, so I'm outta here. I'll let ya know how it goes.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:12 PM

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has trouble on the dream stream. I've fished it three times and only "caught" one trout about 17" but I was late on the hook-set and he was false hooked near the head. It sure does get a lot of fishing pressure but there is def. a reason for it. Some of those fish are huge. Please let me know how you did today. It was one of the areas I thought about going this weekend. I'm sure I'd run into more people than you did today though. Did u spend most of the day spotting fish or were you fishing blind to them. Any flies that had a few takes? Thanks and hope you had a good day. -Tight lines
Old 08-14-2008, 11:34 PM

Got up there just after sunrise. It was overcast and cool. Mine was the only car in any of the lots. Water was high for the stream this time of the year at 350 cfs. Still pretty clear.
Huge trico hatch about 8:30, the sun came out and it was looking good. But there weren't any fish rising. I hooked up a couple fish with a Barr's PMD emerger/red copper john rig fishing blind in the likely holding areas, around rocks, banks and riffles. Both got off. Damn those fish are good at that!
When the spinners started falling I spotted a couple nice fish sipping spinners. By the time I got a #24 spinner rigged up they were only rising sproadically. Got up stream of the biggest fish and dropped a pile cast about 5 feet above him in the bubble line he was feeding in. After 20 or so casts I got one very lite hit. Missed him too.
I was pretty disappointed but wasn't alone. There was a group of 8 from Ohio with 2 guides that weren't getting any hookups either. When the group passed on down stream of me one of the guys, who had seen me hook a fish came over and asked me what he should use. He openned his box and had about 15 flies. The smallest one was a #18 Griffiths Gnat, everything else was #10. I would have thought the guides would have set him up. I told him to use the Gnat.
The wind started to whip about 11:30 so I headed out. I passed the guy with the Gnat on the way out and he said he hooked a "big rainbow" that the guide pointed out, with the Gnat. It got off too.
As far as what's been working up there? For me #18-20 red copper john, #20 Churchill's Sparkle Wing, #20 JuJu Beaitis (got my biggest fish yet up there on that one, it got off too), #20 Rojo Midge, #18 Barr's PMD beadhead emerger. For drys: Trico spinners, when they're happening or hoppers and Amy's Aunt dropped with any of the above. Fish em near the deep banks after noon.
The other day I was up there and there was a Caddis, Blue Winged Olive, PMD hatch going on within a two hour period. Bugs flyin everywhere. Not one rising fish.
I went to my local fly shop when I got home today to stock up on Ju Ju's and Sparkle Wings. Told the guy about the lack of rising fish and he said his guides were experiencing the same thing. Strange year!!!
Old 08-18-2008, 02:23 AM

Thanks for the trip report. I plan to give it a go soon. It sure is tough fishing down there but the rewards could be great. I decided to fish the Big Thompson instead. I was killing it. Fish after fish on either a variety of hopper patterns or my cased caddis dropper. The fish included browns, rainbows and one brookie, which is my first time catching three different species in the same river on the same day. The fish there seem to average a larger size than I remember in years past. It was such a great day, big healthy fish slamming hopper patterns close to the bank. I wish I didn't have to work, I'd be out there today too. Thanks again for the trip report. Tight Lines
Old 08-18-2008, 07:19 PM

In case you missed this report on my blog.
Starting today Cheeseman Lake will be lowered by 20 feet. Flows in the South Platte below the dam will increase to about 800-1000cfs for at least a week.
This flow increase is being done to lower the water height at Cheeseman Lake to allow for repairs to the dam.
Also the powers that be have decided to discharge this water quickly in an attempt to flush remaining soot and ash and redistribute sediment from the river left by erosion after the Hayman fire (2006).
According to Jeff Spohn (biologist for the South Platte district): "The recovery of size & populations in the proposed section has still not reached pre-Hayman statistics after 6 years and major re-stockings - we are still not seeing the "Young of the Year" we did before the fire & the big trout will help supply them."
A similar flush took place this spring with flows reaching over 900cfs for several days. After the flush CDOW biologists mapped and took measurements of sediment redistribution. After this second flush CDOW will again take measurements to determine the changes in the structure of the river.
I fished the spring flush and it was great.
Hopefully the effort will be a success.
Yatahey!
Old 09-18-2008, 10:58 PM

Colin Malthouse is on a distinguished road

Hi Liv2Fish,

Have you ever fished Delany Buttes in the Walden, CO area? Some friends and I are making a weekend out of it and thought we would try the lakes at Delany and see what hits. I read that it is Gold Metal waters but have never fished there. Let me know if you know what to use for some big ones.

I fished the Big T earlier this week and had a blast. Like you I used a hopper pattern and also had luck with a orange stimulator and caught a few nice rainbows. I am just getting into fly fishing and have lots to learn so anyone that has some pointers for my trip to Delany/Walden, CO area I am open to them.

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2008, 09:03 AM

Liv2
I haven't personally fished Delany Buttes but I've heard good things.
There's a fly shop in Walden that should be able to put you on the right track here is a link to their website. North Park Anglers
Here is a rundown on the lakes:
North Lake, Mostly brown trout. Some huge.
East Lake, Mostly rainbows up to 24 inches
South Lake, rainbows, and Snake River cutts up to 4-5 pounds.
There is open camping around the lakes with pit toilets and fire grates.
Have lots of fun, take lots of pictures and post them here so we can enjoy them.
tight lines,
Yat