The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2008, 11:50 PM

superadd is on a distinguished road
Default Another wyoming trip

Ok I know everyone that is going to a new area always ask where to fish and blah blah blah So I will too

But its a little diffrent. The last week of sept. I am taking my wife to wyoming ( she has NEVER seen a moutain) I know its kind of sad but anyway she does not fish here with me because catfishing is kind of slow and boring

I have not been fishing up there in several years, I am planning on stoping at pine dale first and then we will work our way north through jackson and up into the park over a weeks time or so.

What I really need to know is where to take her for good fast fishing (size does not matter) she will be using a fly rod or long crappie pole she does not fly fish so live bait or power baits will be used.

Needing four wheel drive is not a problem since we are taking her 7.5 lifted grand cherokee. (her toy not mine lol) As long as it has a trail we can get there but I will not leave a trail and mess up the land just to go get some fish keeping that in mind any help would be GREAT.

I was thinking small streams and some beaver ponds but like I said its been a long time since I have been up that way and really cant remember all the places we fished I think a couple of them were gold creek and beaver creek

Any idea's for gear would be great too.
Oh and I would like to stay away from soda lake just because well its kind of ugly and she loves to take pics so you know keep momma happy and everyone is happy

One last thing I hope I picked a good time to go and hope the last of sept. wont be to cold
Old 09-10-2008, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Another wyoming trip

Well its one week until we leave for our trip and I am starting to think about booking a guided trip so she can have a real chance at hooking something that she will remember for a lifetime.

But what is the chance of getting a trip booked when we get there or do I even have a chance? And what would be a good price for a half or full day?

I really just want her to have a good time. The more she gets hooked on fishing for trout the more I get to go

I did get her a new 5w albright rig to start on and I have been trying to give some casting tips. She has caught on pretty well and I hope she digs the fly fishing over the spin casting, but we will see.

Thanks again for any info

Jonathan
Old 09-12-2008, 01:32 PM

uhls1986 is on a distinguished road

Soda lake ugly? I don't think so....
Old 09-12-2008, 03:44 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

First I would recommend you get in contact with the local fly shop in Pinedale, WY, The Two Rivers Emporium. Two Rivers Emporium - Fly Fishing Outfitter, Wyoming
They will be able to provide valuable advise on local fishing, what flies are currently working and where to fish, they offer guided trips which would be highly recommended considering your wife would have a better time hooking lots of fish.

Davo, Fysh (both are forum members) and I drifted the Green River from just north of Warren Bridge down to the fish hatchery earlier this year. We had a great time. Just past the Warren Bridge is a dirt road that follows the Green River going north. There are a number of public access points along the river and places for camping (its all BLM land). Just across the hwy from Warren Bridge is a campground.

As you work your way to Jackson Hole, WY I would highly recommend getting in touch with Davo who is a professional fly fishing guide. If he can't fit you into his schedule on a guided float trip he would certainly help you with local fishing information to help you get started off in the right direction, or maybe recommend another guide in the area.

Good luck on your trip!

Larry
Old 09-12-2008, 06:25 PM

Soda lake is not that ugly but in itself but compared to being next to a roaring river with nothing but moutains and trees around you for some great pics

Thanks Larry for that info I will get in contact with davo see what he has going on.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:43 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Shoot me a pm with your exact dates for the Jackson area and I'll let you know whats goin on.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures