The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010, 07:06 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough
Default Yampa below Stagecoach Reservoir

I fished the Yampa Tailwater yesterday. It looked like a guide rendezvous! There were guides from all over Colorado fishing!
Hogs everywhere and watching them, I decided they were just opening their mouth everytime a midge came by. Wouldn't move more than an inch.
I finally caught a 19" rainbow on a 24 brown gold ribbed thread midge pupa. I also caught a 12" brown on a 14 Royal Wulff 'cuz I like to dry fly fish!
Toward the end of the day I caught several rainbow parr on a 20 little green machine.
Lots of fish (I had five hogs that tagged along most of the day right behind my boots) but they were extremely hard to catch!
Old 10-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yampa below Stagecoach Reservoir

BigDog: I have only fished there once, but it was so crowded it was hard to find a spot to get to the water and once you did you could't move. The fishing conditions were exactly like you described.........I'm not planning on going back, that isn't my kind of fishing.

Larry
Old 10-09-2010, 12:05 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

Yep. Kinda like a miniature version of the San Juan tailwater.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:49 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Bigdog: Yes, that is why fished the San Juan early in the season. Maybe I should give the Yampa another go early.

Larry
Old 10-09-2010, 08:46 PM

Try the San Juan in November. Weather is still tolerable and the crowds are gone.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog2421 View Post
Try the San Juan in November. Weather is still tolerable and the crowds are gone.
Thanks for the tip, I might just have to get down there for a day or two! The San Juan is a fun place to fish when the crowds are down. I'm going to have to give the Yampa another try here is a month or two. My first visit just wasn't what I look for when fly fishing. I want a little more elbow room to move around, it doesn't have to be complete solitude but my last visit was just nuts over there.

Larry
Old 10-10-2010, 02:55 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Larry

Some friends & I fished the San Juan in early March for 10 years and it was
an ideal time. Weather was mild and since we were fishing on weekdays, traffic was low. Many days we practically had the river to ourselves.

Paul
Old 10-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Paul: Thanks for the info!

Larry
Old 10-10-2010, 08:34 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I think this thread is in the wrong forum.....
Old 10-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
I think this thread is in the wrong forum.....
Frank: Thanks for catching that, I hadn't noticed. It has been moved.

Larry