The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 10:01 PM

gbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nice
Smile Frying Pan - Oct. 7/8

Third week in a row that I have been able to get to the Frying Pan River. I don't nymph if I can help it so arrived on the river around noon. First pool I fished had some fish rising. Wind was blowing the cottonwood leaves into the stream so had a hard time seeing my flies (#20 BWOs and #18 PMDs). Also, looked like the river had been recently stocked with lots of 3" rainbows. Caught a few fish and moved on. Later in the afternoon I was able to pound up some nice browns near boulder banks with a Green Drake comparadun. After that I found a riffle with rising fish and caught quite a few 12 to 15" browns on PMDs. Finished the day at a pool that I like to end the day with as last week I was catching them well on spinners at dusk. This week, no activity so I moved up stream and found some rising fish. Caught several and then the rain came and so I left.

Second day I started around noon again. Not much happening until it started to cloud over and spit rain around 2PM. Then I had one of the best 2 hours of dry fly fishing I have ever experienced. I was catching them as quickly as I could get them in and off and my fly dried again. Felt like I caught about 40 fish so I guess I really caught 20 or so. The water was covered with BWOs but the fish wanted the odd PMDs which came in spurts. Most fish in the 12 - 14" range with some smaller and a few, bigger nice ones. Off to my end-of-the-day spot with only a couple of fish on midges.

Seems like the drakes are about over but the fish, some good browns, remember them. PMDs and BWOs still hatching. Expect the PMDs are about done (fly shop folks say they should be around until the end of the month) and the BWOs are coming on. Best patterns for me these past three weeks have been the comparaduns.

This was probably my last trip of the season but off to the Bahamas for bonefish on the 20th.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:00 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Frying Pan - Oct. 7/8

Sounds like your having some great fishing on the Pan, congrats! Hope you have a great time chasing bones over the winter, keep us posted! Post some photos if you get a chance.

Larry