The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2010, 12:29 PM

out2trout is on a distinguished road
Default anyone eat kokanee before?

When they turn red? Just got a few and was wondering if they are any good to eat?

Thanks
Old 10-18-2010, 01:16 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone eat kokanee before?

Tried some last year that were red and they were a bit sweet, too sweet for me. As they turn red it's important to note that they are going through the process of slowly dying as they finish up the spawning activities.

Kelly.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

I always hate to be the bearer of bad news but; for we humans many things in nature that are red should not be eaten. Ripe salmon are among these items unless you are starving or intend to smoke them. There is no danger in eating a red salmon but you will not be enjoying prime cuisine. For me, once the fish are 100% ripe they are past the 'Smoker' phase and should not be cast to. Late in the year (now) I occasionally have an accidental silver take a swinging fly. By accidental I mean that I did not see the fish and was searching for trout and come up with a ripe salmon. I always feel guilty for putting them through the ordeal of being caught when they are so close to the end of their life cycle.

So...............Bright fish = food. Ripe fish = let em be.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-18-2010, 02:29 PM

Hi all,

These fish were not caught, but rather given out at the hatchery. They gave quite a few away. I was planning to eat them, but I just don't know what the process of death meant to the meat itself. I know when they are red, they are in spawning mode and consequently die afterward, but does this mean the meat is not good to eat?

Ard, your post gave insight, but I'm just wondering why they are not good to eat at this stage. Does something biologically happen that results in their meat tasting different?

I'm just curious as I love fishing and I love fish. I release most of the fish I catch as I understand the delicate balance that needs to be maintained.

Thanks for your insight guys!
Old 10-18-2010, 05:44 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
So...............Bright fish = food. Ripe fish = let em be.
Amen!

I have eaten Kokes as my dad used to call them, but never when they were ripe. Matter of fact I can't remember ever eating ripe fish. Kokes when they are bright are good eat'n though. Then again...I can't think of two many fish or seafood I don't love to eat, excluding carp and shad of course!
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Out2trout,

Once they begine to grow ripe the fish has essentially stopped eating and growing new tissue, (think of them like a plant that has reached the end of the vegetative cycle and has went to seed and now is loosing foliage and dying) with all the fat stores used up, the proteins in the mussel tissue of the fishes body begin to denature. With this denaturing of proteins the flesh (mussel tissue) becomes soft and will eventually begin to decay. At the point of decay the fish will be nearly dead if not having already succumbed to the loss of strength.

Smoke those Reds.

Ard

Old 10-19-2010, 06:06 PM

Ard, thanks for the great info. That sounds like what is happening. You mentioned smoking. I will give that a try. Any suggestions for a cheap smoker?
Old 10-19-2010, 07:07 PM
Administrator

We have two of the Big Chief smokers, they are about the bottom line price wise. Just type in Big Chief to see what is offered or check your local Wal Mart they sell them. You can smoke lots of stuff so you may enjoy having one.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:23 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I've just heard that the meat is oily and mushy. Hard to catch on a fly rod too. You have to **** them off to catch them.