The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2010, 12:46 AM

lukewl will become famous soon enoughlukewl will become famous soon enough
Default Getting into bigger fish from boulder

Hey ya'll! I moved to Boulder a few months ago and have been hitting boulder creek, st vrain, RMNP and clear creek pretty steadily and scoring fish every outing (less as it gets colder because I havent done much research about colder weather fishing) and that is part of my question. Over the summer, an adams, or caddis with a copper john dropper would produce all day. Now that the hatches arent as prevalent I am having a hard time finding the fish. For these rivers, what should I be looking to fish this time of year?

Part two of the question. Where can I go within 2ish hours of here to get into some bigger fish? And what should I be trying to fish there? Very vague questions I know sorry...
Old 10-22-2010, 08:27 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of
Default Re: Getting into bigger fish from boulder

Try RSII's, JuJu Beatis, and a variety of thread midges in size 20-24.
Good luck
Old 10-23-2010, 12:28 AM

RMTrouter is on a distinguished road

Fly wise, the bugs are the same, generally smaller in size though. You will want to change the waters you are targeting. Try fishing the winter lies... deeper pools, & holes. If temps warm up in the afternoon, you could probably hook up in the shallower water as the fish come out to feed. Right now you might want to target the fish sitting behind the spawners with an egg pattern.

When the mornings are cool, there are not going to be any hatches going on so you will want to dredge a midge larva or baetis off the bottom. If the temps rise, fish a midge pupae higher up in the water column,

If you're looking to get into some bigger fish within two hours of Boulder, your best bet is the Big T, or the Colorado.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:28 AM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

I catch my biggest fish in the winter months, but the tactics are very different. I would use the flies that Yatahey suggested, but even try a San Juan worm or a small stonefly (size 14-18). You can find bigger fish in the South Platte at Deckers, which is not that far away from you, but they can be very selective and the crowds are often a problem. The nice thing about winter months is you can sight fish and then target the biggest ones. But you must get your flies down to their feeding zone, which is generally about six inches off the bottom. The other place that can have big fish is the Poudre in Fort Collins. And, as mentioned before, the Colorado River at Parshall has huge browns. These places are all within a 2 - 2 1/2 hour drive from Boulder. If you don't know how to set up a nymph rig, PM me. I would be glad to help.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:14 PM

Got a few! Went up to the Yampa for my birthday. Hoping to get out to the colorado or the south platte this sunday. Ended up with a big bow, a bigger brown and 3 smaller guys.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:52 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

Really nice fish. Happy Birthday.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi lukewl,

Judging from your smile that was a great birthday. Are these your first big fist? You have the Platte north of you and the Blue River south of you. Both good choices.

Frank
Old 11-05-2010, 02:42 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Luke,
I was going to give you a long narrative on entomology earlier, but I think that you got it figured out. Nice fish.

But if you got some down time, bring a seine or a fine mesh next go around to see what kind of bugs are in the water. You will be surprised to see what's around.

MP
Old 11-05-2010, 03:20 PM

It was a great birthday! They arent my first big fish (my biggest is a 140lb tarpon, grew up in florida) but they are my biggest trout to date. Im heading out to the Colorado in Parshall on sunday with gjcordray so I can pick his brain for a little but I have a much better understanding of fall bugs and feeding after the Yampa trip that is for sure. I have been meaning to pick up a seine net but always forget. I will have to remeber soon!

Thanks for all the advice everyone, it has helped a lot!