The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2008, 09:10 AM

tajbrookie is on a distinguished road
Default Northern New Mexico - first time!

I'm heading to the Taos area for some fly fishing in about a week. It will be my first time fishing in this part of the country (I'm from NC) and would love any advice, tips, suggestions, good location suggestions, etc. - very excited and would love any thoughts from more seasoned northern-NM anglers! Thanks so much!
Old 10-26-2008, 07:57 PM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Northern New Mexico - first time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajbrookie View Post
I'm heading to the Taos area for some fly fishing in about a week. It will be my first time fishing in this part of the country (I'm from NC) and would love any advice, tips, suggestions, good location suggestions, etc. - very excited and would love any thoughts from more seasoned northern-NM anglers! Thanks so much!
Several years ago when I was a total newbie to this sport I was in exactly the same situation--I was in Taos on business with 3.5 days to spare over a long weekend. These folks took really good care of me:

Full Service Fly Fishing Shop & Guiding Trips / Taos Fly Shop - Taos New Mexico

I fished 3.5 days, one day with a guide and 2.5 days on my own. The owner of the shop was willing to mark streams/rivers & specific location suggestions on my highway map for the days I didn't go with a guide, recommended specific flies for the various creeks & days (from my fly box, no less), and generally couldn't have been more helpful. The guide I spend a day with was Brian Spellman (spelling?). If he's available I would recommend him highly.

The shop is located on the left, at the south edge of town about 1 block before you hit the plaza.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:40 AM

Great. Thanks for the advice. We'll check out the shop. I'm trying to avoid a guide a possible so we'll see what they can tell us at the shop. Thanks again!
Old 10-27-2008, 08:41 AM

Trucha is on a distinguished road

The main focus on fishing in that area is the Rio Grande. You can access it either through Pilar or Red River (the river). Pilar; drive up to the iron bridge and you will find plenty of areas to fish. Red River; Drive to the hatchery, and hike downstream to the Rio Grande. You can hike down to the Rio Grande at Wild Rivers but it is one mile down and at the end of the day, feels like ten miles up.

If the Cimarron is flowing, you will be in for a treat. This stream is superb stream for Browns - wary fish but will take a well placed fly. It is the tailwater for Eagle Nest Lake.

There are a mulitude of streams in the area but it is the access that may concern you. Simple closures or snow or regulations. If you have the time, a drive into Colorado to fish the Rio Conejos; Wild Trout River with over 60 miles of open water.

Bienvenido a Nuevo Mexico.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:58 PM

This is great. Thanks so much. I'm definitely going to look into a day in Colorado - all you had to write was 'wild' and you had me.

How far is the drive from Taos? I am completely unfamiliar with the area but would LOVE to get up to the Rio Conejos if it is a doable day trip.

Thanks again.

-taj
Old 10-28-2008, 08:30 AM

Trucha is on a distinguished road

The Conejos is quite doable from Taos but give yourself the entire day to do it. From Taos, drive west on Hwy 64 to Tres Piedras and then head north to Antonito. Turn left and drive until you see the river. You can fish most places along the river. It is posted in some places so look for it. Google it and you can get maps and such.

All Special Trout Water in N. Mexico is home to wild fish. Get the proclamation for exact details. Enjoy your stay and fish hard.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:30 AM

Fantastic! This is great. Thanks very much. We're planning to spend one of our 3 days in CO upon your recommendation. Cheers!
Old 10-29-2008, 01:03 PM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough

I second the Conejos..it is awesome and the Conejos River Angler in Mogote just outside of Antonito is a great shop run by really nice folks. They even have cabins there by the shop....Reasonably priced too.