The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2008, 06:39 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default The Yellowstone?

Honestly now, how has the Yellowstone around Paradise Valley been fishing the past few summers?
I floated it once about 4 years ago and the results were uninspiring to say the least.
We're heading back that way again in August and a buddy wants to float it. I'm voting for one of the spring creeks as we've fished the past few years but if the Yellowstone is a good fishery I'm tempted to give it another crack.
Waddya think... is it worthy?
Old 12-04-2008, 12:24 PM

Biggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Yellowstone?

Hey Jackster,
I saw this same post on another forum and I just wanted to respond to you on this one since there were no responses. I have been outfitting and guiding on the Yellowstone for the past 15 years and just like any river it can be very good one day and horrible the next. The Yellowstone has plenty of ups and downs and it is a very difficult river to predict how the fishing will be from year to year. It is a large river and has many influences that come into play. The trout fishing is productive on over 200 miles of river and each section offers different experiences during different times of the year. Winter snow fall changes from year to year and knowing where to be at what water conditions plays a very important role in angler success. High water years tend to make the fishing on the upper reaches and throughout the Paradise Valley very productive. This is in part due to the gradient of the river. Once the water gets lower and temperatures soar the areas below the Paradise Valley tend to produce more consistent fishing. Again this is due to a higher gradient and more oxygenated water.
August can be a very tough month to fish the river in low water years!! Just as June and early July can be tough during high water years. Two years ago we were on a clean river on June 2nd and this past year it did not clear and drop to a managable river until July 21st. This drastic change of flows make predicitions almost impossible. If the snow comes this year and the spring runoff rolls out in normal fashion the fishing in early August is usually very good. If it doesn't and the summer heat hits early most of August is a tough time to fish. On the other hand we could also end up with low snow packs and have a wet summer which will keep the flows up and the temps down. There are a ton of variables and hopefully we will have good snow and a cool summer. This always makes for the happiest fish.
Please feel free to contact me in June and July and by then I can usually give you a better idea of wether you will want to fish the stone of try somewhere else in the area.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:53 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: The Yellowstone?

Thanks Biggie!

We might just need your services in August. We're still flip-flopping on doing a spring creek again or a Yellowstone float.
Let's keep in touch when the time nears!

Thanks again,
Jack