The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2008, 07:12 PM
upnorth angler is on a distinguished road
Default Wyoming & Montana trip next summer?

Hello fellow fly anglers. I am new to this site and love it. Any ways a couple of quick questions. My son(age 16) and I are planning a father and son fishing trip next July to Wyoming and maybe southern Montana for 8 - 9 days of flyfishing and camping. We're driving from northern Michigan and would like some suggestions on what rivers we should hit. Plan on spending at least 3 days in Yellowstone. Was thinking of starting down on the North Platte and finishing on the Big Horn. We don't have the extra cash for any guide trips, this is gonna strictly be a wade and do it yourself trip for us. I grew up in Colorado and have fished Yellowstone many years ago. Loved Slough Creek and am gonna introduce my boy to it. Anything you guys can think of to help would really be appreciated. Thanks guys for any input.
Bob
UP NORTH ANGLERS - MICHIGANS FINEST FLY FISHING GUIDE SERVICE
Old 12-06-2008, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wyoming & Montana trip next summer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorth angler View Post
Hello fellow fly anglers. I am new to this site and love it. Any ways a couple of quick questions. My son(age 16) and I are planning a father and son fishing trip next July to Wyoming and maybe southern Montana for 8 - 9 days of flyfishing and camping. We're driving from northern Michigan and would like some suggestions on what rivers we should hit. Plan on spending at least 3 days in Yellowstone. Was thinking of starting down on the North Platte and finishing on the Big Horn. We don't have the extra cash for any guide trips, this is gonna strictly be a wade and do it yourself trip for us. I grew up in Colorado and have fished Yellowstone many years ago. Loved Slough Creek and am gonna introduce my boy to it. Anything you guys can think of to help would really be appreciated. Thanks guys for any input.
Bob
UP NORTH ANGLERS - MICHIGANS FINEST FLY FISHING GUIDE SERVICE

Bob,
You need to make it a couple weeks if you can. You have come to the right place for info on thit area, as many of us are in close proximity to many of the regional waters.

If I was you, I would spend atleast a week in the Jackson Hole, South Fork, Island Park(Yellowstone), and Madison River area. All within about 2.5 hrs drive.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 12-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Bob

I can help provide any info you might need on the North Platte (I live in Laramie) or any of the other local streams in the Snowies. I have a road trip planned for mid-July, but if your fishing the North Platte while I'm home, maybe we could setup a float together on the North Platte. I have a HOG Island drift boat. Last year Lambster (also a member of the forum) came up from Georgia and we floated the North Platte from Treasure Island to Saratoga and had a great time. Feel free to ask any questions you might have about fishing in this area.

Fysh and Davo and I floated the Green River near Pinedale, WY early in the Spring. I would definately take Fysh's advice about considering the NW Wyoming area for fishing. They both fish that area and can provide loads of information on how and where to fish.

Larry
Old 12-07-2008, 07:45 AM

2PawsRiver will become famous soon enough

I would second the Green River and the Pinedale Area.

We did a trip to that area this past Aug, you can see it on our website, the fishing page.

Definately stay active on this site. Lots of good info and really helped us with planning our trip.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:05 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Bob

I forgot to mention that I would recommend getting a copy of the book: Flyfishers Guide to Wyoming by Ken Retallic. It has some excellent descriptions for the different rivers in Wyoming, detailing public access points and the roads/trails leading into to them.

Here is a link off of Lambster's web site detailing some of the places he fished last year on his visit to Wyomining.
Georgia Fly Guide Fish Stories

Larry
Old 12-07-2008, 10:34 AM
upnorth angler is on a distinguished road

Hey Guys, Thanks for all the input. Thanks Mcnerney for the float offer. We will definitely keep it in mind. That sounds like a very nice time. Fisher(my son) and I are very excited about the road trip. Wish we had 2 weeks but we have to work with what we have. Mark, thanks for the advice on the Green, did'nt even think about that. Nice website also.
Thanks again everyone. Bob
Old 12-07-2008, 01:38 PM

devon flyfisher will become famous soon enoughdevon flyfisher will become famous soon enough

In Montana, too many to mention but,
In the park, Slough creek is a great river, also the Lamar should be ok by then.
Might be a little far over for you but Rock Creek is superb.
Cheers
Richard
Old 12-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Bob

There is also a book out by Eric Pettine called North Platte. It is an excellent reference for fishing the North Platte, covering maps, access, season, flies, etc. Definately worth considering.

Larry
Old 12-09-2008, 09:36 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

Try the Slough and the Yellowstone inside the north end of the park. There is a fly shop in Gardiner that has been helpful in the past. If you get to the tri-state area (Utah, Wyoming, Colorado) the Green River at Dutch John is a must. The Madison north of West Yellowstone is also a fun place.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:48 PM

blairsvilleman is on a distinguished road

Slough fished really well in 2007. We also fished the Green with limited success in July. I am planning a remote trip next summer. We were thinking about fishing in the winds. Possibly departing from Elkhart park. Has anyone fished this area? I have never caught a golden and would like the opportunity.

I know when we were on the green above Pinedale the blood sucking Mosquitoes , and black flies almost drove us crazy. Are the blood suckers normally that bad in this area?