The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 07:22 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough
Default Tackle for Grey Reef?

What fly rod weights and leader strengths do you typically use in the Spring on the Grey Reef? Is a 5 weight too light? Is a 7 weight too much?
Old 11-15-2010, 09:33 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tackle for Grey Reef?

gjcordray: Spring in WY = WIND, WIND and more WIND! As you probably already know the wind predominately blows up river and there is virtually no place to duck out of the wind on that river. I primarily use a fast action 5 wt unless I plan to throw streamers, but a 5, 6 or 7 would work with a 9ft 4x leader.

Larry
Old 11-20-2010, 10:21 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Larry. That was my gut. I've never fished it before and have decided to finally just make it a priority. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:34 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Sent you a PM with more details.

Larry
Old 01-15-2011, 02:02 AM

trout333 is on a distinguished road

I think you already seem like you know a 6 weight will do the trick. I use the rule of thumb to divide your fly size by 3 to determine tippet. #16 fly divided by 3 = 5x, #18 flies require 6x, etc. It gets kind of scary thinking about landing 20" fish with 6x, 7x, 8x. I usually try and get away with no smaller than 6x.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:46 PM

dang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcordray View Post
What fly rod weights and leader strengths do you typically use in the Spring on the Grey Reef? Is a 5 weight too light? Is a 7 weight too much?
I fish 6 wt and produce some nice fish. I think a good stiff rod will do justice on the Reef.I tend to migrate towards heavy handed tactics when fishing for slabs.It's no fun watching 60 or 70 bucks worth of fly line going down the river and turning your $300 investment into a back scratcher...
Go big 6 wt is perfect.leader is a 3x and tippet is 3x and 4x plenty for the Reef
Old 02-09-2011, 02:37 AM

billydafish is on a distinguished road

A fast 5 with weight and a flip cast if its real windy... of course I always use a 5 there, but still.