The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 03:50 PM

jebson38 is on a distinguished road
Default Rod question...

Fish annually on the Sun River in Augusta Mt and last time I fished using a sage rplx 9ft 5wt rod with 6wt line. I had some issues with wind (30 mph gusts in the face) messing up my cast. Today I bought a Winston Lt 9ft 6wt. This is a lot slower rod than the rod above, but I was hoping it would throw the 6wt line in the wind better than the sage....Any opinions? How do you western guys feel about a 6wt? Too big? Fishing for Bow and Browns.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Rod question...

Jeb,

Slower is not really going to resolve wind issues. Do you know how to tighten your loop when casting? If so a tighter loop and adding a little line speed with a haul (hope you know that one) on the forward cast will help. Otherwise if the wind is wreaking the cast endeavor to get closer to the target. Shorting the range is the absolute best way to gain control of a cast regardless of conditions.

Ard
Old 01-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Jeb

Winston rods are very nice rods, but for wind I would rather use a fast action rod (but that's just my opinion), although personally I like the medium action for the better feel. That said, its always going to be tough casting into 30 mph wind. You might try loading the rod with a 7 wt, weight forward line and also you might try timing your cast so the wind is at the weakest point, in other words don't cast into the peak gust.

I thought WY had the market on high winds! LOL!

Larry
Old 01-06-2009, 04:22 PM

I went with the slower winston for feel. I just thought even though this is a mid flex type rod versus the sage being a tip flex that it might throw the 6 wt line better since it is built for the 6wt line. The sage built for a 5 wt line. My other question was if you guys think a 6 wt rod is too big for this type of fishing? I know how to double haul but not sure what you mean by "tightning my loop". Thanks for the response.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Jeb,

Rest assured we have wind here, the loop would be best seen by looking for any post by Riptide and checking out his graphic. It shows a caster and the loop is the distance between the running line (top) going out and the stationary line (sorta) on the bottom of the casting loop.

Find a post from Rip Tide and you will see a better demo than I can type out for you.

Ard
Old 01-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Administrator

I can't find a new Riptide post. Try a member search, that'll get you the casting graphic, pretty cool.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:34 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebson38 View Post
Fish annually on the Sun River in Augusta Mt and last time I fished using a sage rplx 9ft 5wt rod with 6wt line. I had some issues with wind (30 mph gusts in the face) messing up my cast. Today I bought a Winston Lt 9ft 6wt. This is a lot slower rod than the rod above, but I was hoping it would throw the 6wt line in the wind better than the sage....Any opinions? How do you western guys feel about a 6wt? Too big? Fishing for Bow and Browns.
I mainly fish with an 8 wt, so no a 6 wt is not too big for montana.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:42 PM

Well I guess i messed up. I found a 9 ft 6 wt winston lt for $485 brand new and bought it. After I bought it I started thinking so that is when I went looking for forums to post the questions above. I started to doubt that I did any better by going with the Winston LT 6wt versus the Sage RPL 5wt and you guys confirmed it...Now Ill have to get rid of the Sage RPL.
Any Winston LT 6 Wt owners think I will have any issues throwing a WF 5 line on it? One thing I thought would be nice is the fact that the tip is softer on the Winston LT so if I am stripping a bugger and a good fish hits the rod will absorb the shock better than the Sage RPL...???? Still trying to find a good reason for my purchase
Old 01-06-2009, 08:56 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

the needs for tailoring your arsenal/quiver/tools/rods for specific and different fishing conditions warrants and justifies the purchase! lol it's the start of being a gear *****. a fast action 5wt and a medium action 6 are two very different rods. you can use them each for varying conditions.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebson38 View Post
Well I guess i messed up. I found a 9 ft 6 wt winston lt for $485 brand new and bought it. After I bought it I started thinking so that is when I went looking for forums to post the questions above. I started to doubt that I did any better by going with the Winston LT 6wt versus the Sage RPL 5wt and you guys confirmed it...Now Ill have to get rid of the Sage RPL.
Any Winston LT 6 Wt owners think I will have any issues throwing a WF 5 line on it? One thing I thought would be nice is the fact that the tip is softer on the Winston LT so if I am stripping a bugger and a good fish hits the rod will absorb the shock better than the Sage RPL...???? Still trying to find a good reason for my purchase
Well, if you're stripping a bugger properly, you've got the rod pointed at the fish and its not going to be able to absorb any shock at all.

The suggestions about making your loop tighter are dead on and will help you the most in the wind. Try making 30' casts with the rod stopping at 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock, then at change to stopping the rod at 10 and 2. Your loop should go from fairly tight to fairly large. This is what we're talking about.

Tight loops are more aerodynamic and fly through the wind better. Its like hitting a golf ball with a driver versus a tennis ball: the golf ball will fly MUCH farther because it is more aerodynamic, despite the fact that the tennis ball is heavier. In the same way, a tight casting loop on a 6wt line will work better in the wind than a large looped 8wt line. (This may not apply when casting fluffy bass bugs. Even Superman has a hard time towing the Goodyear blimp.) Faster rods are generally better at throwing tighter loops, but you can make any rod throw a tight loop by changing your casting stroke and/or double hauling.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.