The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2010, 10:57 AM

arkman is on a distinguished road
Default Fishing in February?

We are heading out for a ski trip in February 3rd-7th but I think I'm only planning on skiing one day, which leaves me a couple days to go fishing.

We are going to Breckenridge CO and I've never been out there but I'd assume there is some kind of fishing near by. Any one have any advise on where to fish near by or even if I can fish out there that time of year?
Old 11-16-2010, 11:21 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fishing in February?

You are correct, just down the road from Breckenridge CO is the town of Dillon and the Dillon Reservoir which creates the Blue River tailwater that flows through the town of Silverthorne going north along hwy 9. There is public access in town and along hwy 9.
Here is a link with some info on the Blue River and it also has a river report link. The Blue River - River & Lake Info - Cutthroat Anglers

Larry
Old 11-16-2010, 02:36 PM

arkman is on a distinguished road

Thanks Larry. I'll keep that in mind. It sounds easy enough to get there and spend at list a few hours fishing.

Anyone from that area want to meet up and go out fishing one of those days for at least a few hours?
Old 11-16-2010, 02:48 PM

Biggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud of

Arkman,
It's been a long time since I have been back to my roots in Colorado but there is some good fishing near Breckenridge. As was mentioned in this thread already you will have the Blue River below the Reservoir. There is access from the Factory outlet stores all the way upstream to the dam. There are some large fish that can been seen from the bridges that cross between the outlet stores so take some time to peek off the bridges.

There is also some good fishing opportunities if you take the 30 minute drive over Vail Pass. This was my stomping grounds when I was a kid and there are several good rivers in the Valley. It is also a little lower in elevation and you could have some warmer weather if you head over the hill. I will send you a PM with some directions to some access points. Good luck with your trip.

Biggie
Old 11-16-2010, 09:08 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

I sent you a PM, but everyone is correct. The Blue is open all year. It is very technical water and very crowded, but there are some big fish. The South Platte River Dream Stream section is about 45 minutes away. Again, very technical and very cold and windy but huge fish. The Colorado River is about an hour away and usually stays ice free in the upper stretches. It is far less technical than the others.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:02 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

If you fish the Blue below Dillon bring Mysis shrimp patterns.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:07 AM

trout333 is on a distinguished road

Definitely bring Mysis but be very prepared to fish other patterns. I like leeches big time! Eggs too. A friend just fished The Outlets in Silverthorne and was pulling fish on small Parachute Adams in the 18-24 range. That'll catch'em if the sun peeks out in cold weather. Watch for risers.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:28 PM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

Folks above mentioned the Blue in Silverthorne, the South Platte, and the Colorado downstream of the Williams Fork confluence. Another option is the Blue River just north of Breckenridge in the "stair steps" which stays mostly ice free. The "stair steps" start just south of Coyne Valley Road north of Breckenridge. The ice free portion usually extends north to the point where the Blue crosses Hwy 9 near Tiger Run.

If you are staying in Breckenridge a good local resource is Breckenridge Outfitters which is located on the corner of Main & Lincoln (heart of downtown Breckenridge). The folks in the shop will be happy to help you with information on where the fishing has been good, what to use, etc. They guide trips and also personally fish all winter so they will have recent information. If you are interested in a guide the best guide in the area is Billy Berger, head guide at Breckenridge Outfitters. Billy guides all winter. Breckenridge Outfitters has very reasonable guide rates--a full day is only $275. They also have a 2 hour guide trip for $85 which is sometimes just what you need on a winter afternoon after skiing the morning powder.

Breckenridge Outfitters