The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 10:33 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice
Default San Juan Winter fishing 1/19???

I am visiting Bloomfield next week and didn't know if it was worth the extra luggage fee to bring along some winter fishing gear. So I could fish the San Juan.

Does anybody know how sucessful you can be around Texas Hole and the Flats this time of year? Would a Guide with Boat in the winter be better?

I figure Top water is hit or miss but that doesn't kill me I like to nymph fish tandems anyway.

Thanks ahead of time for any New Mexico help
Old 01-12-2009, 11:02 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: San Juan Winter fishing 1/19???

I have never fished the San Juan in the winter so I can't give much advice. I wouldn't think that there would be much top water action like you said. I would think that small midges would be the flies of choice. You might want to check out the San Juan forum for more detailed information on winter fishing. San Juan River Fly Fishing

Larry
Old 01-12-2009, 11:05 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Thanks for the link... Hopefully I will have a good report in a couple of weeks
Old 01-13-2009, 06:44 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Critter: Your welcome and good luck fishing. I have fished there 4-5 times but like I said it was always in the early summer. Be prepared to fish really small flies. Looking forward to your fishing report.

Larry
Old 01-13-2009, 06:46 AM

KRD will become famous soon enough

A bunch of people from Arizona are headed up to the juan that weekend. For some info check here.

Juanuary 2009 - Jan 16,17,18 - Arizona Fly Fishing Forums
Old 01-13-2009, 01:10 PM

Shamu is on a distinguished road

Fishing is 365, on the Juan. The nymphs you normally use there will work now, however the lake is turning right now and the water is stained a green color with not alot of visibility. Try an attractor like an egg or san juan worm/shami leach with a small red midge annelid on the dropper. low pressure and recent sunshine should be a good time, good luck
Old 01-13-2009, 10:13 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Bloomfield is real close to the Juan; in fact, a lot of the guides live there.

And yes, I would get a guide if you're not familiar with the river, particularly this time of year with the lake turning. For some reason I don't understand, the going rate for good guides there is less than other areas I frequent. PM me if you want the contact info for a couple good guides I can vouch for from personal usage.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:03 AM

sanjuanloop is on a distinguished road

Just my take....if you want a guide & want to wade.....to learn the most on the river that you can & catch plenty of fish then Andy Kim is your man....not much on conversation (except golf or trout). Your arms will get tired & you can see what the SJR is like in the winter or any other time of year. Just my take.....SJL....by the way his website is www.yongspecial1.com
Old 01-14-2009, 05:53 PM

Shamu is on a distinguished road

andy kim is a good guide, and the golf course is closed due to snow so you are in luck lol
However if you catch fish there in the summer, you should be fine on your own now, same insects under the water, and the fish are basically in the same places, just cant see em so think of where the fish were holding when the water was clear on your last trip, and be patient cause youll be fishing blind. At the same time if your not hooking up, change weight, strike indicator distance and move on to the next hole if that dont work.
And just like fishing for any species find the color that works.
good luck
Old 01-27-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamu View Post
Fishing is 365, on the Juan. The nymphs you normally use there will work now, however the lake is turning right now and the water is stained a green color with not alot of visibility. Try an attractor like an egg or san juan worm/shami leach with a small red midge annelid on the dropper. low pressure and recent sunshine should be a good time, good luck
Shamu had it dead on. #20 peach egg followed by #22 small red midge with clear bead head. These were the only two fly's we used in an all day float.

However floating is far easier with guide and boat than it is wade fishing. My hook up ratio wading was 3 or 5 to 1 when I wade fished the next day. It is so much easier to drift those little fly from a boat than wading. But weather was 55 to 60 and sunny 2 of the 3 day's.

Water was cloudy and fish were still spawing..

Thanks everybody for all the hints and idea's.

PS... I took my 88 year old spin cast/bait fishing dad along and he hooked up almost the same as me. His issue was he doesn't understand the "catch and release" I do