The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 04:08 PM

Shamu is on a distinguished road
Default floating the Gunnie

Im thinking of floating the gunnie (black canyon)this summer and wonder if any one on here has ever done it. My Question is: is it doable in 9ft pontoon or are the rapids to much to handle? where can I put in n take out? Any knowledge of the river would be helpful
thanks
Old 01-13-2009, 06:04 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: floating the Gunnie

Shamu

I went to the Denver Fly Show last weekend and set in on a presentation by Black Canyon Anglers. The video showed some pretty good sized rapids. I have never fished it but it sure looks like fun. If I were you I would give them a call and ask their advice about using a 9 ft pontoon on that river. You do know that the only way into the river is a four wheel drive vehicle to the top and then about a one mile hike down to the river. Its a 14 mile float. There is a family in the area that packs your gear down to the river using horses and then picks you up at some designated spot. I don't know the name or contact number, but I'm sure you could get it from one of the fly shops in town. I saw that in info one of the fishing magazines a few years ago.

BLACK CANYON ANGLERS: Wilderness Fly Fishing and Whitewater Rafting Trips through the Gunnison River Gorge, Colorado

Larry
Old 01-14-2009, 10:48 AM

Coloradokid is on a distinguished road

I have done it once at the end of August. mcnerney provided some great info. As regards to the rapids, they are not huge waves, but some very technical rowing skills is needed. Most rapids you can scout and portage if need. I would think a 9 fter would be ok. But as Mc said it is a little over a mile from your vehicle to the river. The trial is steep almost stair like. And you have to carry all your stuff down this trail; boat, food, beer, ect. it is not easy. We made three trips up and down to get all our stuff down.
The fishing is great, mostly numbers of small ones, but i know there are some big fish in there somewhere. It is a great experience everyone should have!!
Old 01-14-2009, 05:42 PM

Thanks alot,
Im also gonna hit the frying pan, Blue, and taylor on that trip, any advice for any of these rivers?
Also Might swing up to the green sometime this summer
I get sick of just fishing the san juan, not that its bad just need some fresh scenery
Old 01-14-2009, 11:06 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Shamu

If you fish the San Juan you will be all set for the Frying Pan. Stop by one of the local fly shops in Basalt (I like Frying Pan Anglers) and buy a Roaring Fork & Frying Pan map, its well worth the money showing all of the public access points.

Also I forgot to mention in my previous post that in the Gunnison presentation that I set in on that they said the Salmon Fly hatch was the last two weeks of June, but could be a little later on a high snow year. They said the salmon flies will migrate off the bottom and up the sides of the cliffs. The fish will stack up right next to the rocks looking for flies to fall back in the water. You want to cast right up next to the cliff, if your 5-7 inches out from the cliff your too far out and won't catch many fish.

I'll try and look around my desk to see if I can find the information on the people that have the horses that pack gear down to the river so I can get you a number and prices.

Larry
Old 01-15-2009, 08:33 PM

Great info thanks alot!