The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2009, 09:47 AM

montanagal is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone hit the Gallatin/Madison rivers yesterday?

Should be warming up today so thinking of heading out in the Bozeman area. Anyone go out yesterday and have some recommendations on where to go? How was the fishing?

Can't wait to get out today!

Montanagal
Old 01-19-2009, 09:26 AM

Biggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone hit the Gallatin/Madison rivers yesterday?

Probably too late to comment but I fished the Gallatin on Saturday for a couple of hours, could not let the nice weather pass me by. I fished near the Mouth of the Canyon and had a bit of success on a small # 10 BH Goldenstone trailed with a red 3 dollar dip. Caught a half dozen fish in two hours and headed home. Good luck on the water.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:31 AM

Thanks for the report. I ended up going on Sunday - headed downstream form Axtel Ancenny bridge. Had some success with larger stuff - streamers. Some friends said they had luck with a large rubberlegs.

The weather was fantastic.

Wish I could play hookie today as it looks like it is going to be another great day today.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:21 PM

Biggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud of

I fished the Lower Madison for an hour yesterday afternoon between Black's Ford and Greycliff and it sure was an amazing day as far as the weather was concerned. I managed to hook a few on a San Juan but there wasn't much going on. One boat stopped to see how we were doing because they were not having much luck either. I ended up taking a short nap on the bank because it was so nice out. I too wish I could play hooky again today but it doesn't look like it's in the card's with the fly tying orders I need to be more diligent about. Good luck out there.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:31 PM

mtflyfishguide will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to mtflyfishguide

Hey MTGAL,
I didn't get over to Ennis/ Boz yesterday, I was on the Bitteroot early Sunday and it blew out as I was on it. I fished the upper clark, close to Warm Springs and did well, but the bighole blew also, I think the Madison/ Gallitan will be alittle hi too but dont quote me. The Missouri will fish and so will the Big Horn, your' two best bets in my opinion for the next 3 to 4 weeks, I start guiding the MO and it is usually better in late April - June nymphing with some caddis and good streamer fishing, when Ice comes off some of our lakes/ Holter/ Canyon Ferry/Browns, you can sight fish and stick huge fish on small streamers and egg patterns
Brooks Jessen Montana Fly Fishing, Missoula Montana, Montana Fly Fishing for Trout. Classic Journey Outfitters.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:41 AM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyfishguide View Post
Hey MTGAL,
I didn't get over to Ennis/ Boz yesterday, I was on the Bitteroot early Sunday and it blew out as I was on it. I fished the upper clark, close to Warm Springs and did well, but the bighole blew also, I think the Madison/ Gallitan will be alittle hi too but dont quote me.
I fished both the madison and the gallatin this weekend. The gallatin is still pretty clear down to where it crosses under i-90. The lower madison is fine for 5-10 miles outside of beartrap.

I was skunked on the gallatin, but caught a few smaller fish on the madison.

I understand that the topic is an old one, the reason i posted was to clarify the water conditions on the maddy/gallatin.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:34 AM

Thanks for posting - it is always great to get updates for the rivers in this area. I am out of town this week on a business trip but will be back next weekend and hear that it is going to warm up this weekend so these recent updates are great.

I fished the Gallatin in the canyon between the entrance and Big Sky and had some decent fishing about 3 weeks ago.

Hoping to get out this weekend or next and find a river that is not blown out.

Montanagal