The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 09:47 PM

carter is on a distinguished road
Default Golden Trout Big Horn Mountains, Wyoming

Hi all, new to the site and really enjoy. I wanted to get the word out on a great area to fish in Wyoming. I guide in the Big Horn Mountains around the Ten Sleep area. We do some awesome back country trips into the Cloud Peak Wilderness area. This area is lightly fished and offers up 22" Golden Trout, 24" Cutts, and numerous Brookies. We also have rounded up some world class private water in the valley around Ten Sleep. These waters have been producing 22"+ browns and rainbows on a regular basis. The local creeks support strong invertibrate colonies which can be seen in the big hatches and healthy fish. Anyone interested in a great week or day fishing, hit me up or check us out.

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 08-19-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:32 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of
Default Re: Golden Trout Big Horn Mountains, Wyoming

I grew up in Greybull, Wyo. your right about the fishing in the bighorns. Good thing that its not a populous area and even though its a tourist route down through Shell, everyone believes they are on thier way to bigger and better fishing in tetons or bighorn or Cody or on up into montana. Its a good secret that even when told doesn't seem to sell like it should.

It is unique country, beautiful and very easy to reach remote areas quickly.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:09 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuramille View Post
I grew up in Greybull, Wyo. your right about the fishing in the bighorns. Good thing that its not a populous area and even though its a tourist route down through Shell, everyone believes they are on thier way to bigger and better fishing in tetons or bighorn or Cody or on up into montana. Its a good secret that even when told doesn't seem to sell like it should.

It is unique country, beautiful and very easy to reach remote areas quickly.
I lived in Greybull for a few years, and grew up in sheridan. I also can attest to the greatness of the bighorns, and the rivers around greybull, hyattville, and down to tensleep.

I dont mind if this guy contributes to the forums, but i am not sure i appreciate people creating an account just to advertise their business.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

carter,

Welcome to the NAFF forum. Many of the members live in areas where there are outstanding fishing opportunities.

It is very kind of you to offer to show members around where you fish. You must be a really nice person and the next time I'm in the Ten Sleep Canyon area I hope you'll be able to get some time off work to go fishing with me. Thanks for your generous offer to take us all fishing.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-19-2009, 01:54 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

There simply isn't many humans in that area. I'd still live there if I could make a decent living. I hope our poster "Carter" didn't quit his day job. I've always said I would retire in Shell or Tensleep and fish myself to death.

I left Greybull in '85 and been through there a few times over the years after. If anything, the population has gone down. The fish were still there two years ago, stacked up in mile long "stairs" of pool after pool above and below shell falls. Hiked to and camped at lake solitude for four days as well and it hadn't changed. Once I hit the dirt road I didn't see a human or car...just a couple jets at 45,000 feet. Everywhere you go, you pick a dirt road, any dirt road at any time of the year and in 500 feet your absolutely alone and will be until you leave. I was spoiled back then, too young to know it.

Its far different here in the south.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:58 PM

cromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nice

I grew up is Sheridan as well and learned to fly fish in the Big Horns. I have a picture of me fly fishing on lake Solitude as a young kid, I'll have to find it and post it.
I've fished the Golden's Carter is talking about and if you're ever in the area take him up on it. Lots of Goldens and in good size, he is not bluffing. I absolutely love the area and would also go back if I could make a decent living(and a mall for the wife)

The Big Horns are underrated and wouldn't mind getting lost there with my rod for the rest of my life!

Clint

Last edited by cromney; 12-16-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:20 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromney View Post
I grew up is Sheridan as well and learned to fly fish in the Big Horns. I have a picture of me fly fishing on lake Solitude as a young kid, I'll have to find it and post it.
I've fished the Golden's Carter is talking about and if you're ever in the area take him up on it. Lots of Goldens and in good size, he is not bluffing. I absolutely love the area and would also go back if I could make a decent living(and a mall for the wife lol!)

The Big Horns are underrated and wouldn't mind getting lost there with my rod for the rest of my life!

Clint
Clint: I have only been to Sheridan once a few years ago on a bike road trip. It certainly is a beautiful part of WY, I need to get up there and do some fishing in the Big Horns someday, it sure looks like a great place to fish.

Larry
Old 08-19-2009, 05:13 PM

cromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Clint: I have only been to Sheridan once a few years ago on a bike road trip. It certainly is a beautiful part of WY, I need to get up there and do some fishing in the Big Horns someday, it sure looks like a great place to fish.

Larry
Larry,

Let me know if you do and I'll linform you where the Gold is.

Clint
Old 08-19-2009, 05:28 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromney View Post
Larry,

Let me know if you do and I'll linform you where the Gold is.

Clint
Thanks Clint! Will do. I have been thinking of making a trip up to the Bighorn River and I might try to combine that with some Big Horn Mtn fishing.

Larry
Old 05-02-2011, 04:10 PM

ion_chucker is on a distinguished road

Anyone one know of a hatch chart for the area. I fish a bunch in the foothills of the Bighorns... on the montana side and rarely fish it early in the season before the hoppers are out. I want to change that and fish it year around. Are there drakes?, March Browns?, Skawlas?, Hex?.. Doubt it's far enough east. Tricos ? PMDS BWOS?