The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 11:29 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barb wired fence running across Odell spring creek in Ennis Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
Same here fysh. Dad gummit, I can't get the image of a real small pizza out of my head
Good one! I like that.

Sorry to be so, uh, proprietary in the conversation. In Montana (and WY and maybe some other states) our license plates have two sets of numbers separated by a hyphen. The first number designates what county you are from (1 - 56) and the rest is just random. SO...Missoula for example, is known across the state as the liberal, tree-hugging, hippie town tucked inside of western Montana. The rep is earned, but misguided.

Anyway, a license plate that starts with a 4 is from Missoula Co and everywhere you go the rest of the "locals" have an opinion of you before you step out of you rig. One of my favorite bumperstickers ever states: I love Missoula, great little town and only 30 minutes from Montana!

Anything in the 50s means you've ventured in off the plains (or out of the deep NW) and are lost in the "big city". A 1 states proudly that you live in Butte! And so on...
Old 12-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Gotcha! Thanks, carry on.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 12-02-2010, 11:45 AM

Biggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud of

Dean-mt,
Save yourself the hassle of letting folks know where you live in Montana. "6" plates are probably despised as much as "4" plates so I gave up my standard issue state plate and got the TU vanity plate. It's an extra $25 per year on your registration, but it's for a great cause and you can pull up to that ranchers house in Phillipsburg and tell him your from Ekalaka without him even knowing. No county markers on the vanity plates, it's a great thing for those of us living in the "big cities".
Old 12-02-2010, 01:25 PM

fishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of light

haha, Dean I very much miss Rock Creek, def. one of my favorite rivers ever. I use to hike up that road in the winter and fish the spots that were clear of ice. Something special about being up there without a soul in sight.

I stopped hitting the parking lots around the Bitterroot after seeing the chaos first hand. I don't fish over there much anymore so I would be happy to PM you the spot where I use to go, you have to cross a couple ditches but it's well worth it.

The Madison is insane, the younger crowds use to float the Jefferson but they blew up the cliff everyone use to hang out at, so everyone migrated to the lower madi. I don't fish on warm days ever down there too insane, most of the time just fish the upper.

I appreciate the comments, I can't wait till odell thaws and I can go take advantage of my youth and my ability to stoop to levels that maturity probably wouldn't normally allow.

oh and powder has been epic, only thing keeping me away from fishing right now.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:45 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Biggie - I went and dropped the 25 bones for the TU plate at my last renewal for that very reason! But I'll tell you a secret...unless you go all the way vanity and put something like "fishsf8" or "30-06" on there, the first letter gives you away. I know that Missoula is an "A" but still better than the Scarlett 4!

fishalong - the dead of winter is about my favortie time on fish Rock Ck anymore...October, November can find some solitude and it's really hard for me to skip the Skwala hatch in March, along with everyone else!

I'm sorry to hear about the floaters on the Madison. The lower Blackfoot is honestly not even an option middays the entire summer. No fisherman in their right mind goes near it. It's starting on the Bitterroot, too now. I am not for lots of recreation regulations, and I don't know what the state or counties could even do, but it's becoming a real problem, not just for fisherman.

Another snow storm is blowing in today. It could be a good winter West of the divide, which means a good summer for the rivers.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:56 PM

vanceinak is on a distinguished road

From 1997-2002 I was a 13 & I didn't even fly fish (fish at all really) in them days! Constantly driving up & down the main river, east & west forks, over through the Big Hole, over to P-burg, etc & never wet a line... Sigh.... To have a summer to do it all again! Instead I'm stuck in Alaska with all these salmon & a few trout :-(
Old 12-02-2010, 03:15 PM

blackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
I'm sorry to hear about the floaters on the Madison. The lower Blackfoot is honestly not even an option middays the entire summer. No fisherman in their right mind goes near it. It's starting on the Bitterroot, too now. I am not for lots of recreation regulations, and I don't know what the state or counties could even do, but it's becoming a real problem, not just for fisherman.

Another snow storm is blowing in today. It could be a good winter West of the divide, which means a good summer for the rivers.
I can't tell you how happy I was to see the ranchers blow up the cliff jump on the Jeff. I was also pleased that the story about an otter attacking some tubers on the lower Jeff made the rounds around town as well.
I don't know what the solution is but the tubing thing is definitely a problem for me where I like to fish in the summer. Places I used to go to get away from the summer crowds are now seeing lots of drunken idiots in inner tubes.

I can give up the Lower Madison, it gets to warm anyways, but the Jeff? The lower G?
The Blackfoot is just sad. The trash these people are generating and dumping in the river is outrageous.

I've been seeing them on the Stone through town on hot days now. That's just down right dangerous for the vast majority of drunk idiots who almost never have life vests on.

A bunch of college kids I used to work with ran the lower G. They tied all their tubes together and ran into one of the big snags just above Logan. A couple of them got hurt and thought they were going to drown. One of the girls thought she had a broken back and they had to get rescued. She went to the hospital but was fortunately just banged up.
I used to hammer home the "respect the river" concept endlessly to them. When they told me about it I was actually pissed off. It was, I guess, a little silly of me to expect them to listen.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:28 PM

Biggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud of

Dean-MT, I don't think the A means a thing on the plates, I changed my 6 plates out years ago and my TU plate starts with ACG and I have a Bozeangeles address.

Unfortunately the tubers probably can't be stopped but it would be nice to slow them down with some laws targeted towards them. First and foremost folks should be required to either have a fishing license or to purchase an access permit to use Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks access's as well as BLM land. This would provide the funding to hire more enforcement officers for the summer season to police the littering and recreation laws.

Most folks don't know that the FW&P's budget comes almost entirely from sportsmen through their license purchases and taxes collected through (Wallup-Breaux) which taxes fishing tackle, (Dingel-Johnson) which taxes boat motors and boats and (Pitman-Robertson) which tax ammunition and archery. Less than 3% of the budget comes from Statutory revenue that the legislator administers out of the general fund. The statutory revenue goes entirely to the Parks division who require you to pay fees for most State Parks. It's time other recreationist start paying their share, especially when their use is putting the strain on the resource.

Sorry for the rant but the tubers **** me off to no end.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:07 PM

Biggie, I never consider a well informed and reasonable argument a rant. I have actaully never thought, or unfortunately heard anyone discuss, access regulation this way. Have you heard any politicians or FWP heads us this justification for implementing a public access fee? Everytime the idea comes up it gets railed.

It is a tricky subject, because there are still plenty of good ole Montanans that want to take thier kids to the river for a picnic and I just hate the idea of having to pay for that. And we all know how the general public here feels about it.

What shocks me is that just 10 years ago there was not this problem, the jackass floatillas that litter the river, trample riparian and disrespect property both private and public.

And thanks for the good news on the "A" plate! I'm just a guy from Wibaux coming to look for some trouts...nevermind the flyrod!
Old 12-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the fee for folks that use the resource that aren't fisherman, but good luck in this political environment. Everyone likes the bennies we receive, and not all want to pay their fair share.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."