The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 02:46 PM

fishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Barb wired fence running across Odell spring creek in Ennis Montana

"Unfortunately the tubers probably can't be stopped" that about sums it up.

The issue with people tubing on rivers is huge, but it rides on a very thin line. It is easy to generalize and say they are all drunken idiots, but in reality there are many different people who choose to float down a river. Just as it's hard to watch a 17 year old with a beer bong scare away the trout form the hole you are fishing, it can be just as bad seeing 30 guide boats come down the stretch 'one after the other' like wild boars- ravishing the shorelines with two-fly set-ups. (thats a rant)

The real issue comes with the lack of respect for the water, and the lack of access points for the public. In my mind they are both problems that are a causality of each other.

I remember my professor at the UofM tell me that when they were building the new dam for the Blackfoot, they found something like 50,000 beer cans. That to me is just sad.

I like how the rivers are managed in Canada. Barbed hooks are illegal and (I believe) beer cans are even illegal while floating. Those are two things that I don't should be in the water ever.

BlackBugger - I would have to argue that giving up the lower Maddi is better then the Jefferson where the majority of the floating was occurring. However, giving up any river in Montana is tough as heck.

The stories I hear about floating the Lower G are hilarious, but not near as funny as some of the stories of college kids running the kitchen sink without knowing it was coming. There should be a warning sign on the Ennis lake Dam that says "you might die if you are about to float this in an inner-tube."
Old 12-10-2010, 06:55 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

Everyone has equal right to Montana's public land regardless of use. Fisherman should not feel more entitled to public land than anyone else that wants to use the river.

I encourage everyone to use Montana's outdoor resources, including tubers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishalong View Post
BlackBugger - I would have to argue that giving up the lower Maddi is better then the Jefferson where the majority of the floating was occurring. However, giving up any river in Montana is tough as heck.
Also it is possible to float the lower madison in the middle of the summer and not have to worry about the tubers. Float beartrap, or float from greycliff to three forks.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTskibum View Post
Everyone has equal right to Montana's public land regardless of use. Fisherman should not feel more entitled to public land than anyone else that wants to use the river.

I encourage everyone to use Montana's outdoor resources, including tubers
I don't think anyone's disputing everyone's right to use the resource, only that everyone that DOES use the resource should pay an equal share by paying for a recreational pass/permit, IF your not already contributing by the purchase of a fishing license.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 12-12-2010, 01:27 PM

blackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTskibum View Post
Everyone has equal right to Montana's public land regardless of use.
Actually, this isn't true. At least as far as law and regulation is concerned.
Public land use is subject to all kinds of regulation.

I, for one, like that I can go over to the Big Hole or the Beav. during the high season and find a stretch to float that doesn't have any guides on it (in theory).

I like that they control the number of launches on the Smith with a lottery.

I expect that if the tubing trend continues to grow there will be attempts to control and regulate it.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:53 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

Just cut the wire! Oh, and don't forget to throw the wire cutters as far away as you can afterwards! ;-)
Old 12-16-2010, 03:06 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishalong View Post
I also didn't know it was legal to put a barb wire fence over a river, I guess it could be considered a 'barrier' to show property lines.
I wouldnt call it a "barrier" I would call it more like a law suit
Old 12-16-2010, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog2421 View Post
Just cut the wire! Oh, and don't forget to throw the wire cutters as far away as you can afterwards! ;-)
Or...wipe off the finger prints and nail them to the fence post. j/k
The Landowner probably has a Game Camera aimed directly at the offending fence, thinking that sooner or later something may happen to it.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-19-2013, 11:24 AM

bobk627 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgeehan View Post
When fly fishing in montana you have the right to move up and down a stream if you are within the high water mark. On O'dell spring creek the high water mark is basically the existing water level since it doesn't fluctuate much so you have to stay in the creek. As long as you access it from a public spot like the bridge outside of Ennis you can wade upstream as far as you want. The stream access law also allows you to move outside of the high water mark to navigate around obstacles like fences.
old thread
question: i thought the rule was different for spring creeks? they can be owned and passage restricted/stopped? one cant walk into depuy from the yellowstone right?
Old 04-19-2013, 12:53 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobk627 View Post
old thread
question: i thought the rule was different for spring creeks? they can be owned and passage restricted/stopped? one cant walk into depuy from the yellowstone right?
Good question. This is an old thread but it was good one. I wish Biggie was still around, but he hasn't posted here in a long time.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:23 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobk627 View Post
old thread

Spring creeks can be owned if the originate on the property. In this case passage would be restricted.

If the spring creek just passes through the property, then passage cannot be restricted and the high water mark law applies.
fredaevans and dean_mt like this.