The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 06:21 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough
Default Perplexed in Cheesman Canyon

I can almost hear the collective moans and sense the rolling of eyeballs at what I am about to ask... What are the keys to (relative) success in the Canyon?

I am sure many of you have read Dorsey and Bartholomew, and probably check out most of the online fishing reports weekly, as have I. But I have to say that I am getting really frustrated with this section of the South Platte. I know I am not alone, and I know that this is part of the magic of this stretch of water - what would be the point if every fish was easy to catch? I have fished many technical stretches of water in the state (the Dream Stream, Taylor, Pan, etc.) with fair to good success. I just cannot seem to hook and land these fish. I generally hook 3-5 in a typical day and might land one or two or maybe none. I have yet to land anything bigger than 16 inches (which is a nice fish, but looks like a shiner next to the torpedoes in the canyon). Any tips from any of you who have fished this stretch?

I'm really not complaining and have enjoyed every moment spent in this majestic setting, but the idea of a little more consistency and/or confidence might make the walk even better.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:12 PM

Coloradokid is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Perplexed in Cheesman Canyon

I have heard the fishing has been off this winter up there at the cheese. It gets hit a lot, especially this time of year with not much else to fish. sounds like your are doing the right things by hooking a few fish, my advise would be stay after it and good things will happen. Good luck!!
Old 02-04-2009, 10:34 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Send Yatahey a PM, he lives in Woodland Park and fishes there quite a bit, at least he used to. He should be able to give you some help on how to fish that stream. You might also try doing a search on this forum for yatahey I think he has posted about fishing there in the past.

Larry
Old 02-05-2009, 12:17 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the "pep talk" coloradokid. When I reread my question I realized how whiney I sounded. You are right. In a tough, technical section of water you have to look for success as it applies to that location. Its like you feel that everyone else on the river is in some exclusive club and you just want to know the password. A little perspective never hurts.

And, Larry, I think I will PM Yatahey (unless he reads this and wants to respond). His posts are always very helpful. Good idea.

That said, if anybody else has had good success in Cheesman Canyon and reads this, I would love to hear your perspective, even if you don't think it is magical, it just might give us some new insight.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a link that supports what CO Kid says about the current conditions.
Cheesman Canyon Stream Report and Current Conditions

Larry