The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 05:49 PM

WillFish4Food is on a distinguished road
Default Big Thompson Report 2-7-09

Went over to the Big Thompson for a day this weekend and I was pleasantly surprised with how well it was fishing. There is open water for about 3-4 miles from the dam and the fish are zoning in on small midges. Pretty much anything red or gray was working all day long.

Fish are stacked up in the deep holes. Walked quite a bit of the river that was fishable and we found them stacked up in deep water. Small tippet was a must. Couldn't get nothing to bite fishing 6 and 7X. Switched to 8X from my indicator down and it was lights out. You could honestly see them wanting to hit the midges when we were using the 6 and 7, but they just seemed to know something wasn't right.

Seen quite a few hatches of tiny grey midges happening in the mid afternoon. Hit the middle of one of those and get ready for tight lines!

Adam
Old 02-09-2009, 06:06 PM

Whizzer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Big Thompson Report 2-7-09

glad to hear you had a good day on the bt. sorry i missed you. i went up the poudre and looked for nebrasks plates, but came up empty. midges were working up there as well. also did well on some 18 pt's. maybe we can connect next time you're out this way

steve
Old 02-09-2009, 08:08 PM

pl4a is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the trip report post Adam. Congratulations on some good winter fly fishing. I didn't have any luck a couple of days earlier. Perhaps I'll try the 8x and hit it again in the next few days...provided weather holds out. I appreciate the information!

-Paul
Old 02-10-2009, 09:54 AM

WillFish4Food is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizzer View Post
glad to hear you had a good day on the bt. sorry i missed you. i went up the poudre and looked for nebrasks plates, but came up empty. midges were working up there as well. also did well on some 18 pt's. maybe we can connect next time you're out this way

steve
For sure Steve, we live way to close to each other to not meet up for a weekend trip or two. I will let you know when we are going to be heading that way again.