The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 06:07 PM

BigSky is on a distinguished road
Default Bighorn River access information sought

I believe this is my first post on the forum even though I've lirked and learned for a long time.

I've lived in Billings for about 8 years and have never got around to fishing the Bighorn. Can anybody provide me with information on where might be the best place/places for me and my two kids to access the Bighorn on foot? Even if it means "non-prime" areas. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:44 PM

Coloradokid is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bighorn River access information sought

Bigsky, im not from that area, bu tim pretty sure there have been some reports lattley from the bighorn. Try using the search function and you should be able find some info. Good luck, i know there are helpful members from that area, but they do not get on frequently.

If all else fails, get out there and try it, adventures are fun.

Are you flyfishing or spin???
Old 02-19-2009, 12:20 PM

I'm flyfishing. I talked to a couple of locals who confirmed, as I suspected, that a large amount of wading is done at the 3-mile area as there are side channels through which the boats can't travel. I'm specifically trying to find out, because of large numbers of fisherman in these areas, if there is 1) access further down the river (ie. closer to crow agency, etc.) and 2) if so, is the fishing still good. I assume it not to be as good as further upstream; but, if it's better than everywhere else or most other places, it may be worth it.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Bigsky,
Welcome to the forum.

Have you spoken to any of the local shops around FT Smith? you may even want to try the local fish and game office.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 02-19-2009, 11:06 PM

Thanks for the welcome. No; but, I've talked to the fly shop guys here in Billings. It appears that they have little knowledge about the "further down stream" fishing.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Try these folks. I'm sure they could get you pointed in the right direction.
Home - Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks

If they are no help, then I would 'Google' fly shops at Ft. Smith.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."