The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 04:43 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough
Default South Platte at Deckers report

Spent the day in the Deckers area of the South Platte on Sunday - It did NOT feel like a February day at all. The river is really starting to come alive again and the temperatures are springlike, both in the air and in the water. Started fishing at 9:30 just below Flies and Lies between the bridges. Caught three nice bows in about an hour's time - one was well over 18 inches. Moved downstream throughout the day, keying on the deeper holes. Could see fish stacked in most of the fishier looking places because the water is gin clear from top to bottom. Hooked into fish in every single hole I threw into (didn't land them all though). Others I talked to were having similar experiences. I fish here a lot, and this weekend it felt like the fish were far more active than they have been the last few months. They are moving a little farther into the transition water, into the seams. They are still hugging the bottom for the most part, but are much more active in general. I caught fish on two flies - a number 22 olive or black midge larvae pattern, and the old standby:18-20 GRHE. Still hook a ton of caddis larvae when my rig drags the bottom - should be an epic hatch sometime in April or May. The river looks great all the way to Strontia Springs. It has really recovered well since the Hayman fire. The guides at Flies and Lies tell me they guide the whole river from Cheesman on down now. If you want a great, laid back experience on this incredible stretch of water, hire one of these guys. They are true river bums who LIVE to fish.

Hope this gives anybody interested a little first hand info.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: South Platte at Deckers report

Great report man! Got any pics?

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:17 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

This one was in about 6 feet of water and I made probably 30 casts at him. Took the hare's ear. This fish is typical of the larger ones in the area - but there are bigger! Every pod holds a couple in the 18-22 inch range and then a few in the 12-14range. The little guys kind of stay in the rocks in the shallow edge water and try not to get eaten by either an eagle, a heron, or a bigger fish. The big bows come right to the surface when they get hooked, give a couple head shakes and then roll over and go deep. Quite a rush when they breach. If you can keep them hooked when they head back down, they are usually yours. Enjoy.

Attachment 1802
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deckers bow.jpg (65.9 KB, 123 views)
Old 02-23-2009, 11:39 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Nice fish! Thanks for sharing.

Larry
Old 02-24-2009, 07:16 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Gary,
Nice job. We'll have to get togther and hit Deckers together sometime soon.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:00 AM

Sounds like fun.I will pm you the next time I get out.

Has anybody fished the roaring fork or the frying pan lately? Taking a trip up there in late March.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:23 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Sounds good Gary.
I have tentative plans with a couple friends to fish the Roaring Fork next Tuesday. Depends on if I can get off work. Either way I'll report how it goes.
Late March should be good for your trip.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:54 PM

Coloradokid is on a distinguished road

Nice repot!!!! A sunny day on the water, thats what i need, im jealous, thanks for posting.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:20 PM

Can't wait to see how you do, Yatahey. That is one incredible region - reminds me of 20 years ago. I hear they are fishing pretty small midges (#28? yikes).
Old 02-25-2009, 07:02 PM

Well, I managed to get out to Deckers today. Couldn't bear the jones anymore and I have a couple day off.
The flow was dropped to a low 50cfs and gin clear so it was sniper fishing all day.
Did OK. Small midges #22, red was the menu.

Best rainbow of the day.
Click the image to open in full size.
Best brown of the day