The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Winter Fishing on the Bighorn River

Here is a photo essay that was published in Outdoor Life on a winter float trip on the Bighorn River on a balmy 15 degree day. To veiw the article and photos, click on the "NEXT" button that is under the title "Fish America: The Bighorn".
Fish America: The Bighorn | Outdoor Life

Some of you may recognize Eric as forum member bighornflies.

Larry

Old 12-10-2010, 12:24 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter Fishing on the Bighorn River

Sounds like the optimal time of the year to hit the Bighorn. If you own lots of wool and don't mind frozen fingers, that is. I have never fished the Bighorn, I am scared away by the summer crowds when the boats literaly line up down the river. Maybe a winter trip is in order!

Thanks for the link, Larry. I know you are hoping to get up there, good luck!
Old 12-10-2010, 04:02 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I fished in the low 20's but not in the teens.

How do you keep the guides from freezing up? Or is it an issue?

Any of those anti-freezing pastes work?
Old 12-10-2010, 04:09 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
I fished in the low 20's but not in the teens.

How do you keep the guides from freezing up? Or is it an issue?

Any of those anti-freezing pastes work?
That's just part of the winter fishing fun! Most of the time you need something to do anyway. Just be careful how you get the ice out, graphite will get brittle in those temps - I snapped the tip of my rod of once. The easiest way to clear ice is to just dip the rod in the river.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:46 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

That was neat. Thanks Larry.
And Eric.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:04 PM

bighorn flies has a spectacular aura aboutbighorn flies has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the post Larry. It was a lot of fun. I'll see if I can't get some more pics from the trip. I think we took at least 300 or so.

What's really neat about the Bighorn this time of year is that the water temp is still at 55 degrees and the air temperature 3 feet above the water was still 37 degrees so as long as your not high sticking your rod your guides don't freeze up that often. It also allows you to warm up a little. You could see from the pictures that 3 feet back from the shoreline the snow is all melted away, that's the heat from the water. But once you get in the boat and start throwing Streamers or casting, your guides will freeze up. A lot of people just dip the rod in the water and it melts away almost instantly. However I like to use PAM cooking spray, it's not harsh on your Rod. Don't use WD-40, It may work but you'll lose a rod in the process.

And Larry, I've still got the front seat reserved for you in my Boat when you're ready!!!

Old 12-11-2010, 11:25 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Eric: Your welcome, I just thought it was a really good photo essay of the Bighorn and the members here would like to see it! Be sure to post some more photos, everyone would love to see more photos of the Bighorn!

I didn't realize the water temps were that warm, but was wondering why the snow was gone from the banks, thanks, now I have a better idea of what is actually happening. No wonder those fish grow so big living in ideal temps.

Thanks, I'll take you up on that sometime this winter!

Larry

Old 12-11-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighorn flies View Post
What's really neat about the Bighorn this time of year is that the water temp is still at 55 degrees and the air temperature 3 feet above the water was still 37 degrees...
That is amazing! You could almost wet-wade in 55 degree water! That would be fun.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
That is amazing! You could almost wet-wade in 55 degree water! That would be fun.
Yes, I agree, even the 37 degree temps 3 ft above the water sounds much more tempting than the -15 degree temps in the Roaring Fork valley over Thanksgiving.

Larry

Old 12-11-2010, 04:31 PM

Mostyn will become famous soon enoughMostyn will become famous soon enough

Hi Larry,

Loved the photos of the Bighorn River, that is a really large river. Smart boat; and the Brown Trout were in nice condition; and the best thing was, they were being returned to the river! Thanks for the link; it's always great to see photos of your large rivers; and it's inhabitants.

Regards

Mostyn