The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2009, 08:37 PM

CoMtFishing will become famous soon enoughCoMtFishing will become famous soon enough
Default Re: In need of Colorado trip suggestions!!

I'd highly recommend RMNP, you'll have to buy a back country permit but one permit is good for your entire group for your entire trip. Some great cutthroat lakes up there and the scenery is amazing. Truthfully how far do you want to hike, are you partying as well, how good of shape are you in, all this kind of will help determine your trip.

My Homepage
My Fishing T-shirt site How I pay for my fishing addiction.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:37 AM

tgoodwater2002 will become famous soon enough

Goodwater,
I have stayed in similar cabins in Northern Michigan. Thanks for sharing your experience! Was the place where you stayed accomodating to tent dwellers?

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions![/QUOTE]

Yes, there is on the north side of the lake. You can camp there. Primitive campsites.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:31 PM

Coloradokid is on a distinguished road

Check river conditons before you come out here. June/July are big run off months, so most rivers will be muddy. By late july you might find some clear water, send me pm's if you have any questions!!!
Old 03-03-2009, 10:33 AM

catfish is on a distinguished road

Clear creek res. just south of Granite
camping is free but primitive no running water so bring your own
we go 2nd week of june every year the fishing is great it has never let me down in the last three years
there is access to the arkansas,clear creek,clear creek res.,twin lakes and
many other places to wet a line
enjoy it gets mighty cold at nite so go prepared
Old 03-03-2009, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Checking runoff projections a month or so in advance is great advice. I think they've had lots of snow this year.

For southwest CO, I'd recommend the Canon City-Salida area over the Roaring Fork/Frying Pan area. I've spent a week or so in both and the Basalt/ Aspen area is just expensive. I like Basalt quite well, but its likely a bit quieter and ritzier than y'all are looking for. Salida has lots of restaurants and such, and you might be able to find a camping spot on a lake that would be great for the others, and still be able to to to the Arkansas quickly to fish. You also would have the option of a whitewater trip with one of the outfitters in Buena Vista.

If you want to catch hogs, get there quicker, and spend less money, I'd look into a location in Northern Arkansas on the White River, or Little Red. The largest trout in the world are there, and us Texans don't invade AR in the summer like we do CO.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:10 AM

catman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Checking runoff projections a month or so in advance is great advice. I think they've had lots of snow this year.

For southwest CO, I'd recommend the Canon City-Salida area over the Roaring Fork/Frying Pan area. I've spent a week or so in both and the Basalt/ Aspen area is just expensive. I like Basalt quite well, but its likely a bit quieter and ritzier than y'all are looking for. Salida has lots of restaurants and such, and you might be able to find a camping spot on a lake that would be great for the others, and still be able to to to the Arkansas quickly to fish. You also would have the option of a whitewater trip with one of the outfitters in Buena Vista.

If you want to catch hogs, get there quicker, and spend less money, I'd look into a location in Northern Arkansas on the White River, or Little Red. The largest trout in the world are there, and us Texans don't invade AR in the summer like we do CO.
We don't have any trout here
Old 03-04-2009, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
We don't have any trout here
Hah! Always a good sign.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

thelumberjack: I went into Denver yesterday and stopped by at the Orivs shop to get a fedora styple fishing hat. While I was in the store I picked up a couple fishing/floating maps one on the Arkansas river and the other on the Gunnison/Tayor River. If you decide to fish either of these rivers I highly recommend getting a copy. It details all of the public access points and camp sites along the rivers.

Larry
Old 03-08-2009, 04:26 PM

Rebscott is on a distinguished road

Andrew;

Here's another suggestion for you and your buddies. Lake San Cristobal (south of Gunnison) is Colorado's second largest natural lake. It's about 2 miles long and there's public camping along the east side. Above the lake, is excellent fly fishing. The town of Lake City is 5 miles away and is a very quaint and very small town. Most of the fishing at Lake San Cristobal is done from the shore. The lake has brook, brown, rainbow trout and Mackinaw. The river above the lake has brown, brook, cutthroat and rainbows. Not many people know about this area because the entire county wherein this lake lies has only 790 people. But if you want sheer beauty and great fishing, there's nary a place in Colorado that's better. Campsites are literally only a few yards from the lake and you can easily walk from the campsites to the river above the lake for fly fishing. Check out Official Visitor Guide to Lake City, Colorado CO. Your Cure for the Common Crowd. or google Lake City, Colorado.

Reb
Old 03-24-2009, 04:15 PM

conejosbum is on a distinguished road

Hey man if you have chance head down south to the conejos, the fishing is great and normally the river is not packed