The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 08:48 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of
Default Dream stream report 3-2-09

Had a chance to check out the Dream Stream on a rare Monday off this week. Reports are that the rainbows are starting to enter the river from 11 Mile res.
The wind was blowing pretty hard and the river at the lower lot was crowded, so I headed to the upper lot to try for some resident fish. Had no luck up there so I went back down to the lower lot. Fewer cars this time and some people were leaving due to the wind. Air temps were about 55-60 degrees. Warm for this time of year.
The fish were biting best between 2- 3:30 in the afternoon as the water temp rose. On the menu: small red midges #22-#24. Fished this section with lots of weight and no indicator.
The bows are definately moving into the river. Had six hook ups but only netted 2 fish. One that got off was a monster. Had him within two feet of the net when he wrapped around a log causing my lead fly to embed in the log breaking off the trailing tippet.
Here's the pics: Beautiful gill plate colors.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Dream stream report 3-2-09

Well done man! Glad to hear you made it work in the wind.

And those are indeed pretty fish. Looks like they've been eating quite well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:04 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

yatahey: Nice fish, congrats! Thanks for sharing.
Those rainbows have some beautiful colors.

Larry
Old 03-03-2009, 10:42 AM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

Nice fish. Really fat buggers. Must have put up a nice fight. How's the snowpack right now? Tough to get around? What are you using for your lead fly?

Side note: Went back to Deckers on Sunday for three hours - It's fishing great right now! Nailed two and lost two. One real nice on. I have to get picts developed. Will post later.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:56 AM

Coloradokid is on a distinguished road

Very very very nice!!! I love those photos, awsome colors, thanks for report.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:21 AM

catman is on a distinguished road

I've had good luck in Riverside, WY with this little Ruby midge #18-#22 hook size with a black chrome bead.
Black 4/0 base then cut tail about 8" and leave it alone
Then tie in a Med Red Tinsel with a 6/0 black rap it to the front, then rap the 4/0 black to the front and tie it off with the 6/0. I catch my biggest trout on this midge.
This one has caught about 25 trout, then it starts to frey like it has some very light dubbing..they like it.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:32 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcordray View Post
Nice fish. Really fat buggers. Must have put up a nice fight. How's the snowpack right now? Tough to get around? What are you using for your lead fly?

Side note: Went back to Deckers on Sunday for three hours - It's fishing great right now! Nailed two and lost two. One real nice on. I have to get picts developed. Will post later.
Gary,
They did put up a nice fight. Thanks. There is NO snow in South Park right now, amazing.
Fly set up was an Otter's soft egg, dropped with a red rojo midge, size 22. The egg pattern can be affective at times but I didn't have one hit on the egg. They all took the midge. I used a pretty big chunk of Mojo Mud to get the flies down fast and did not use an indicator. Tight line high stick style. All takes were very near the bottom. Every couple seconds just jig the line a little to test for bites since the takes were very soft. Once hooked they took off like a bat outta hell for the fast deep current. Had to rush to get down stream of the fish and coerce them out of the current and get their heads up to disorient them.
Good fun and great practice for the up coming spring season.
Glad to here you got some action at Deckers. It's a great close place to fish.
IM me anytime if you want to wet a line together. Looks like I may be getting a little time off soon, but can't pinpoint any dates right now.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I've had good luck in Riverside, WY with this little Ruby midge #18-#22 hook size with a black chrome bead.
Black 4/0 base then cut tail about 8" and leave it alone
Then tie in a Med Red Tinsel with a 6/0 black rap it to the front, then rap the 4/0 black to the front and tie it off with the 6/0. I catch my biggest trout on this midge.
This one has caught about 25 trout, then it starts to frey like it has some very light dubbing..they like it.

Catman,
The Rojo midge is very similar to this except for a clear bead head and a little red tinsel on the body.
Nice fly.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:33 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatahey View Post
Gary,
They did put up a nice fight. Thanks. There is NO snow in South Park right now, amazing.
Fly set up was an Otter's soft egg, dropped with a red rojo midge, size 22. The egg pattern can be affective at times but I didn't have one hit on the egg. They all took the midge. I used a pretty big chunk of Mojo Mud to get the flies down fast and did not use an indicator. Tight line high stick style. All takes were very near the bottom. Every couple seconds just jig the line a little to test for bites since the takes were very soft. Once hooked they took off like a bat outta hell for the fast deep current. Had to rush to get down stream of the fish and coerce them out of the current and get their heads up to disorient them.
Good fun and great practice for the up coming spring season.
Glad to here you got some action at Deckers. It's a great close place to fish.
IM me anytime if you want to wet a line together. Looks like I may be getting a little time off soon, but can't pinpoint any dates right now.
I have been reading quite a bit about the bows moving out of elevenmile into the river. I really want to get up there. What time would you say you need to get there to get a half decent spot on a Sunday? I usually fish this section in the warmer months and on weekdays. I'm not afraid of morning or cold, but it's a long drive just to have lunch and turn around.

I have some time off in late March. Maybe some dry fly action up at Deckers? Keep me in mind for that time. Going to the Pan March 21-24. Can't wait.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:35 PM

Gary,
I couldn't say for certain how early you need to get there on a
Sunday morning. I never tried to get there early this time of year. I would guess before sun up would be your best bet. Still the fishing is best after the water temp come up a bit. You need at least 38 degrees for active feeding to begin. Closer to 40 is better. It's amazing how much of a difference a few degrees can make.
Deckers sounds good for March. I'll let you know how my work situation looks as it gets closer.
Good luck Sunday.